SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-04-06, 02:02 AM   #1
blok2400

Default Buying a SV650

Hey guys im new to this fourm. Just thought I would ask a few questions first. Im 20 and I have never owned a bike before but when I saw the 650 I really liked it. So I went to the dealer and was offerd a very reasonable no money down rate and nearly walked out with the bike. I have decided though since I do not have my license yet I should wait a few weeks. It's still up in the air but im very close to going through with it.
Is there anything I should know about these bikes before I purchase it?. It is the naked verison. I hear they are confortable and they seem to be. Just looking for some info.
Old 30-04-06, 07:15 AM   #2
TC3

Why not get your licence first and then test ride one as that is far better than relying on what others think of the bike. Actually test ride a few different bikes to make sure you get what you want.
Old 30-04-06, 08:41 AM   #3
kwak zzr

the sv is a great bike! but then you are on an sv site so most people will say the same but saying that EVERYONE rates the sv! evan all the bike mags.
welcome to the site blok2400
Old 30-04-06, 09:47 AM   #4
Toypop

I wouldnt get a bike until you have passed the test. Having a bike at home and knowing that if you pass you can go home and ride it would just put more pressure on you when you do your test.

Isn't it better waiting til your next birthday and doing the direct access so you don't have to ride it restricted for a couple of years?

Once you have passed definitely try a few bikes. You may not like the way the v-twin sounds or its power delivery compared to a four cylinder.
Old 30-04-06, 10:41 AM   #5
jenni

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC3
Why not get your licence first and then test ride one as that is far better than relying on what others think of the bike. Actually test ride a few different bikes to make sure you get what you want.
Nice idea but good luck trying to find a dealer that will let you test ride with 0 years on your licence....
Old 30-04-06, 11:10 AM   #6
TC3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenni
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC3
Nice idea but good luck trying to find a dealer that will let you test ride with 0 years on your licence....
My dealer let ne test ride the sv as well as a fazer 600 and several peeps i know have had test rides the moment they have passed
Old 30-04-06, 12:23 PM   #7
Red ones
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC3
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC3
My dealer let ne test ride the sv as well as a fazer 600 and several peeps i know have had test rides the moment they have passed
That will be the test bike the same dealer wouldn't let me ride when I had 5 years experience and I was looking for a courtesy vehicle minutes after they had almost killed me by the poor standard of servicing. Even the Police were amazied I hadn't been put in hospital!
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-06, 12:43 PM   #8
blok2400

Thanks for the advice guys I knew it would be bias but I kinda wanted it to be. No there is no way in hell I could test ride any bikes here in south fla. I have ridden a 600RR and a GSXR750. Loved the look plenty of power, But pretty uncomforable. I sat on the SV and it was quite nice. The DL for it is a good idea though. I should proably go ahead and do that. Im just getting impaitent. My dad just bought a Boluvard and he won't le me ride it
Old 30-04-06, 04:16 PM   #9
Toypop

Quote:
Originally Posted by blok2400
Thanks for the advice guys I knew it would be bias but I kinda wanted it to be. No there is no way in hell I could test ride any bikes here in south fla. I have ridden a 600RR and a GSXR750. Loved the look plenty of power, But pretty uncomforable. I sat on the SV and it was quite nice. The DL for it is a good idea though. I should proably go ahead and do that. Im just getting impaitent. My dad just bought a Boluvard and he won't le me ride it
Where and how have you been testing these bikes to the point that you could test their power and comfort properly?!

I found the SV was initially very comfortable where as the sports bikes are uncomfortable. However once you get used to them and do longer journeys it is quite different. The sports bikes no longer hurt whereas I found with the SV that the seat was an almighty pain in the ****, my throttle hand used to ache (I assume from vibrations) and my back would be stiff when I got off.
Old 30-04-06, 09:13 PM   #10
TC3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red ones
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC3
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC3
That will be the test bike the same dealer wouldn't let me ride when I had 5 years experience and I was looking for a courtesy vehicle minutes after they had almost killed me by the poor standard of servicing. Even the Police were amazied I hadn't been put in hospital!
What did they do? Leave the wheels loose or something?