SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 02-06-08, 09:15 PM   #1
Ed

Default Trying to be green - a step too far

I'm cynical about this global warming thing but nonetheless we try to recycle things in our house. So we put the glass bottles out (have to burn diesel to take the plastic ones to the bottle skip, take the tops off, instructions on the skip are vague as to whether they want the tops or not, so I put them in anyway), and the paper etc. Aren't we good citizens

About 2 years ago we bought a composting bin as the council was selling em cheap. So we've been putting all the kitchen waste in. Now, while our front garden is moderate size, we have a fairly small back garden and there were few places to put it. I was wondering where all these little flies were coming from - we seem to have had a lot - and yes it's the composter. And they've invaded our neighbours too. The fruit on the top of the compost is not decaying, it's gone into a revolting slimy mush that the flies are feeding on. When I opened the top of the bin, a million flies swarmed out - in my face, ears, mouth, hair - yukkkkkkkkk - and I've now got lots of little insect bites that are itching like hell So the fruit has gone in black plastic bags in the bin, and the rest will go as soon as the rubbish bin gets emptied. And then the composter itself will follow but I'll have to take a saw to it. Unless I can recycle it to someone on here?

Composting - pah, you can keep it.
Old 02-06-08, 09:19 PM   #2
Baph

Default Re: Trying to be green - a step too far

Ed, do what I did...

Every time you find a spider in the house, put it in the garden, near the composter. Some of them may not survive if they can't cope with the cold, but still.

This results in an infestation in spiders. At the moment we have literally hundreds of them crawling all over the back garden, most with egg sacks on their backs.

Spiders are awesome, I have an open composter (wooden pallets fastened together) and no flies whatsoever. There's also a family of mice that live in our composter (they help decompose things faster, as they turn it to fertiliser naturally).
Old 02-06-08, 11:21 PM   #3
philipMac

Default Re: Trying to be green - a step too far

I think you have to do a bit of work to get your composter working properly. It's not quite as simple as firing everything in there, closing the door and waiting.
There is an element of turning things over, as well as adding roughly correct proportions of stuff in at the start. If there are hordes of insects living in it, then its going wrong. Its meant to be worms and bacteria doing the work for you.
If its very wet like you were saying, it will probably be fermenting and making nasty smells.
And if its bone dry that's a problem too.
My mate composts everything down. Its not like its hard work, but there are a couple of ground rules to follow. (Pun intended.)

Here, have a look at this Ed.
http://www.compostguide.com/composting_tips.html
http://www.compostguide.com/index.html
and terrible cheesy video...
http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=compost making&ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&rls=com.ubuntu:en-US:unofficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&sa=N&tab=wv#