SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-08-12, 09:49 AM   #1
zombie

Default Stopping/slowing with the clutch in. Bad form?

The SV has quite severe engine braking (at least in my view).

As a result, when slowing and stopping for lights/junctions, I tend not to shift down gears, letting the clutch out each time, but rather slow with the brake and then hold the clutch in and shift down the last few gears in one go (without releasing the clutch).

Is best practice not to do that?

Does it mean less control?

Does it matter that much?
zombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-12, 09:55 AM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Stopping/slowing with the clutch in. Bad form?

forward planing. this ensures you are always in the correct gear at the correct time.

my rule of thumb for town riding, 10mph for each gear. 0-10=1st 10-20=2nd so on and so on.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-12, 10:00 AM   #3
SIII
Mega Poster

Talking Re: Stopping/slowing with the clutch in. Bad form?

I for one, am the complete opposite and hardly ever use the brakes approaching junctions etc, prefering to use the fantastic engine braking of the SV. In fact when riding with non V-Twin's they usually complain as they never see a brake light - just a rapidly slowing SV!

I would also say you have less control of a freewheeling bike whilst you click down the gears, relying on just your front brake. Try blipping the throttle on down shifts - will change down sweeter!

In my opinion, I would persevere with using the engine to brake, with practise and a bit of forethought you will ride smoother.

One of the joy's of V-Twins is the engine braking and the glorious noise on over-run.

Last edited by SIII; 17-08-12 at 03:48 PM. Reason: make more sense!
SIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-12, 11:46 AM   #4
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Yes it is bad form, the bike is under much better control when you're using the engine braking. If you get used to blipping the throttle on downchanges then there's much less jolt/drag when you let the clutch back out in the new gear, I suspect this is behind what you're doing. The exception is first gear, don't bother trying to use that for engine braking, just slow right down in 2nd then pull the clutch in and cog down before you come to a complete stop. Are you perhaps riding a gear too high round town? Would also mean you spend a lot of time changing down.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-12, 01:30 PM   #5
NTECUK
Mega Poster

What they said.^
Blip it.
Ps get a new xorst can. Then your want too
Old 17-08-12, 02:23 PM   #6
muzikill
Mega Poster

Tps adjustment can make that sort of engine braking smoother & more controlable too btw.
K3 Job c.v: Engine:remove/split/rebuild/refit. Replace:Gearbox,Fuel pump,Gaskets. Piston clean,rings. Overhaul:Throttle body,Injectors,Brakes,Forks. Remove/refit:Exhaust,Radiator,Oil cooler,Throttle,Air filter,Tank. Replace: Oil,Coolant,grease,brake hoses & bleed.
muzikill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-12, 03:34 PM   #7
Spank86

Very bad form, I do it all the time.

of course it's ever poorer form to use engine braking and NO normal brakes, you are essentially slowing down without indicating it. A mix of the two is best even if the brakes are doing no more than showing your lights.
Old 17-08-12, 03:52 PM   #8
Thunderace

OOOOOH this is gonna cause a row! But I agree with Spank, engine braking is the way to go, but for gods sake let the lunatics behind you know your braking!
Old 17-08-12, 03:58 PM   #9
SIII
Mega Poster

Agree with letting car / bike following you are braking - is my bad habit not to!

I had to 'learn' to use the brakes when out with others on bikes, a wee dab is all that is needed.

Although I have always made a point of dabbing brake's, if a car is following close behind, when approaching junctions etc, plus exaggerating mirror checks, moving across road etc to let them know i am about to perform a manoeuvre.
Old 17-08-12, 04:24 PM   #10
Bibio
Mega Poster

is it wrong to use engine braking and brakes then.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote