SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-04-18, 06:50 AM   #1
Wally E

Default Front suspension upgrade for 2017 SV650

Hi all,
I've had my gen3 2017 SV650 for a few months now. Great little bike! I'm now looking to upgrade the front suspension. I've been looking at the Ohlins FKS217 cartridge kit, and in order to save costs I'm wondering if I can use my existing springs with the cartridge kit. I have a strong feeling that the Suzuki springs will be the same physical dimensions and similar spring rate to the recommended Ohlins springs.

Anyone on here that has done the Ohlins FKS217 upgrade, and can give a definitive answer?

Another upgrade I've considered is braided steel brake lines. I have the ABS version, and it seems that the available aftermarket line kits completely replace the OEM lines including the frame mounted steel lines. To me this would not be as effective as just replacing the rubber sections which cause the spongy feel. Any comments?

Knowledgeable advice would be much appreciated.
Cheers.
Old 05-04-18, 10:21 AM   #2
shep30805

Default Re: Front suspension upgrade for 2017 SV650

Wally I'm guessing that you have the al7 2017? Any joy in removing the rear calliper - some genius has decided that a no:6 Alan bolt would be better than the traditional bolt
Old 05-04-18, 11:20 AM   #3
DuncanC

Is it still under warranty? If so I'd check you won't void that by playing with it.
DuncanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-18, 12:00 PM   #4
Wally E

Yes, it's the L7 bike. I have not yet needed to remove the rear calliper or the rear wheel for that matter.

Are you wanting to replace pads or just wanting to get the wheel out?

Looking at it I see that the calliper is bolted to a carrier which has the axle going through it. The carrier is also slotted to engage a lug on the swing arm to act as a torque stay. There are two bolts holding the calliper to the carrier, the rear one being a normal 12mm hex head and the front the Allen head bolt you mention. You don't need to remove either of those if you just want to get the wheel out. Just remove the axle, push the wheel forward, lift the chain off the sprocket, then wiggle the entire calliper/carrier assembly off the swing arm, then pull the wheel out.

I think you would only need to remove the rear calliper to carrier bolt if you were replacing pads so that you can swing the calliper up after taking that pin out and slackening the front Allen bolt (maybe not even necessary). The front Allen bolt probably does not need to be removed for changing pads and neither bolt needs to be removed if just removing the wheel.

That's my take on the situation. I always like to take wheels off myself at home, and then get new tyres fitted by a shop. So when I replace the rear tyre I will know if what I have said above is all true!

Hope this helps. Still looking for a response to my original question on suspension in this thread though!
Old 05-04-18, 12:08 PM   #5
Wally E

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncanC View Post
Is it still under warranty? If so I'd check you won't void that by playing with it.
Yes, still under warranty so I'd check with them first, but being a capable hands on type and letting someone else do what I can do kind of goes against the grain if you get my drift!
Old 06-04-18, 10:48 AM   #6
shep30805

It makes sense why people choose to change to a custom exaust... Like you I choose to do the 'menial' tasks, such as basic maintenance - and having been riding in the crappy weather, brake maintenance is a must. The fronts - no problem 😊 as there is no change from the sk3 model, but the back; the Allen bolt seems to be too long, as there is not enough of a gap between the bolt and the exhaust, even when the exhaust bracket is removed. Sorry dude, no ideas about suspension as I have not made any decisions. Picked up on your post because we have the same model.
Old 06-04-18, 03:51 PM   #7
Bibio
Mega Poster

the whole point in upgrading suspension is to match it to your weight. so new springs are a must have.

unless they are supplying the correct oil for the kit with the correct springs then things can get a little complicated with drop in cartridge kits. its the oil viscosity that control's the dampening and this is dependant on the spring rate. dampening is the control of the rate the spring is allowed to move in an up and down motion.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-18, 07:49 AM   #8
Wally E

Thanks for those replies, and just a bump to maybe get a bit more feedback.
Here's a link to my similar post and replies on the "other" SV site.
http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=385850
Cheers.