SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-04-06, 01:39 PM   #1
sweepdoggydog

Default Bike Hire

Hi,

I passed my DAS about 3/4 I went out and bought an SV all ahs been good ever since, However the SV is the only 'big bike I've riden apart form the CB500 at the test center. I would like to have a go on a 600 sportsbike, CBR, R6 etc. or something thats not a V twin just to see how different the ride is. Only problem is i'm only 22 and any bike hire place states that would have to be over 25 to hire a sports bike or something with a bigger engine, and I've heard that many dealers require you to be over a certain age to take a test ride on their bikes.
Any Ideas where i can ride or hire, where age isnt a question would be much appreciated, Cheers
Old 13-04-06, 01:50 PM   #2
SteveR

some bike clubs occasionally get a dealer day - where a local dealer allows club members to ride some of the bikes. The Suzuki owners club is not expensive and has had such days in the past.
If you have cover to ride other bikes, then other club members may let you have a ride on their bike. A 600 sport bike should not be too difficult - but I had great trouble getting a ride on a DL1000 - and I'm much older than 22 !
Old 13-04-06, 01:53 PM   #3
tomjones2

A few dealers dont offer test rides to anyone, BMW offered me a ride on a gs (i'm 23) but that only helps if you want a BMW.

You should be able to find a dealer around you that will let you ride an SV at 22 on yer bike in aylesbury do, and they will let under 25's (i think) ride any proper sports machine upto 600cc. It depends a lot on the type of bike, but i would be very suprised if anyone let you ride a 1000cc sports at 22.

Probaly best to get on the phone and start asking. The big dealers are normally not a bad place to start as they are more likley to have a fleet of demonstrators and insurance
Old 13-04-06, 03:42 PM   #4
DanAbnormal

You can ride my gn250 if you like for £100 an hour?

It's a beast!

Just phone every dealer near you, one of them should let you have a go. Just sound really interested in a bike and tell then you have the loan all ready but won't buy until you've tested something. And don't show them your SV!! Or you could feign interest and that you want to trade it in. And you could actually end up trading it in.......oh crikey what have I done!
Old 13-04-06, 04:16 PM   #5
lynw

would help if you had your location posted or gave us a hint where you are.

if you were london based I could point you to a few places that do daily bike hire.
Old 13-04-06, 04:26 PM   #6
thor

I would think bike hire is a fairly expensive way to do some test rides. I would suggest:

1. Ring round to all the dealers. They all have different rules. I got caught by having my licence for less than one year. Infinity would not let me test ride, triumph, bmw and Dobles (honda) would let me try anything. It's due to their insurance contract. Obviously they might refuse if you come across as a nutter, but then that's fair I think.

2. Get some biking mates! If you have third party insurance to ride other bikes then you can blag some rides on other bikes. Just remember "you bend it, you mend it" ok!
Old 14-04-06, 10:12 AM   #7
sweepdoggydog

I live in Greenwich (profile is now updated), so if anyone knows any places give me a shout.
Good point about getting some biking mates, I've been constantly trying to persuade my mates to get bikes, but their all to scared!!
Old 14-04-06, 10:31 AM   #8
wheelnut

If you want to learn some good riding skills as well, go to California Superbike School and hire an R6 for the day.

They only charge you for the bits you break if you fall off it :P
Old 14-04-06, 01:40 PM   #9
Last Action Pimp

my boss is going to let me take the new R6 out when my 2 years are up! and i am only 19!!!
Old 14-04-06, 04:42 PM   #10
lynw

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweepdoggydog
I live in Greenwich (profile is now updated), so if anyone knows any places give me a shout.
Good point about getting some biking mates, I've been constantly trying to persuade my mates to get bikes, but their all to scared!!
Raceways in Rotherhite do bike hire. There are age restrictions - some bikes they wont hire unless you're 25, others 21.

Average hire is £70-90/day.

I put the link in a thread in the Selkent section, somewhere in this thread:

http://forums.sv650.org/viewtopic.php?t=36121

HTH