SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 11-08-11, 06:37 PM   #311
Terah

Default Re: Tottenham Riots

Hello Rioters. Look at your friend, now back to me. Now at your friend, now back to me. Sadly, he isn't me, but if he stopped using petrol bombs and started using the job centre he could potentially be me. Look down, back up. Where are we? You're at an interview with the man your friend could work for. What's in your hand? Back at me. I have it. It's an application form to that job you need. Look again. The form is now money. Anything is possible when you get a job and stop looting. I'm on a horse.
Old 11-08-11, 07:10 PM   #312
thedonal

Why are the BBC now blurring faces on footage? Surely counterproductive? Especially when they're clearly in the act of vandalism (ie destroying a police car?). Why should any of their identities be protected?

Water cannons available in 24 hours? After 3 days of destruction?

So much again a case of far too little, far too late from one of the weakest governments in our history.
Old 11-08-11, 07:27 PM   #313
The Idle Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terah View Post
Hello Rioters. Look at your friend, now back to me. Now at your friend, now back to me. Sadly, he isn't me, but if he stopped using petrol bombs and started using the job centre he could potentially be me. Look down, back up. Where are we? You're at an interview with the man your friend could work for. What's in your hand? Back at me. I have it. It's an application form to that job you need. Look again. The form is now money. Anything is possible when you get a job and stop looting. I'm on a horse.
Very funny, I like it, well put.
I wonder what motivated the looters that had good prospects and good jobs? Greed, frenzy, excitement, mob mentality?
Old 11-08-11, 07:51 PM   #314
keithd

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonal View Post

So much again a case of far too little, far too late from one of the weakest governments in our history.
You know what I reckon this comment has annoyed me as much as the rioting. What makes them weak? The fact they have to adhere to laws currently in place, laid down by previous governments both conservative and labour? Cheap attempt at points scoring by somebody who doesn't like this present government and can't see past that.
Old 11-08-11, 07:57 PM   #315
MisterTommyH

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonal View Post
Why are the BBC now blurring faces on footage? Surely counterproductive? Especially when they're clearly in the act of vandalism (ie destroying a police car?). Why should any of their identities be protected?

Water cannons available in 24 hours? After 3 days of destruction?

Weak? Isn't that carrying on regardless knowing that we can't afford what we're doing? And being too weak to make a decisions to change?

Even those who completely disagree with what they're doing can hardley call them weak! Severe cuts in the face of popular opinion, because that's what they decided had to be done. That's strength.

BTW, anyone notice what's happening to all the countries in Europe that haven't made cuts and aren't 'ahead of the curve' as the head of the EMF puts it? They're all, slowly and surely, getting closer to going bust. Greece, Italy and Spain in the last month if I remember correctly.
MisterTommyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-11, 07:59 PM   #316
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

they've had more U turns than a cul-de-sac...

Not saying the last mob were any good. At least they made choices and stuck by them, things like Iraq and Afganistan.

sv650s (gone) gsx-r600 (gone) Street R675 (now living in Inbhir Nis )

Last edited by carelesschucca; 11-08-11 at 08:04 PM.
carelesschucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-11, 07:59 PM   #317
Specialone

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithd View Post
You know what I reckon this comment has annoyed me as much as the rioting. What makes them weak? The fact they have to adhere to laws currently in place, laid down by previous governments both conservative and labour? Cheap attempt at points scoring by somebody who doesn't like this present government and can't see past that.
Agree.
Old 11-08-11, 08:19 PM   #318
thedonal

I'll change my view if the changes they make on the back of the riots make a difference.

But- I really feel they could have done more to guide and support the police earlier into the riot. Yes- key figures were away on holiday (which is fair enough), but how did it take so long to take any real action? Why did they seem* to wait for office hours to deal with this?

And- I don't dislike this government any more than any other (except perhaps the exiting Labour govt). I've just got no real confidence they'll change much (though accept this is a tough job whomever takes it on).

I guess it's hard to see past the red mist on this one and- as we've seen- it is quite easy to lash out.

* Note- that is seem to- it's a perception.
Old 11-08-11, 08:24 PM   #319
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalangel View Post
THE PUBLIC: Oh why won't the police do anything? These thugs need to be dealt with harshly!

Cop duly smacks a thug around with his baton

THE PUBLIC: Police brutality!!!

Seriously, FECK ORF, you whinging hand wringing imbeciles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy H View Post
+1million
and one!

Police brutality Ha!!
The police are light handed compared to the past

That serious does boil me!

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-11, 08:38 PM   #320
keithd

Quote:
Originally Posted by carelesschucca View Post
they've had more U turns than a cul-de-sac...

Not saying the last mob were any good. At least they made choices and stuck by them, things like Iraq and Afganistan.
thats not really a thread we want to pull at is it? Tony B Liar and his government didn't U turn on any issues? Lets start with the EU referendum we were promised. Dossier in the first Iraq war and Saddam Hussein was another if memory serves.

And thats without google!