SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Helmets Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 22-03-16, 04:14 PM   #21
K5Rider

Default Re: Caberg Duke

Another thread revival by me today !!

I have a Caberg Duke and it's pretty good for the money.

I bought medium and fits my napper well.
As others have said, chin touches the front when closed and peripheral vision isn't the best.

What I did have problems with was the amount of air rushing in at the bottom and over my mouth. This was confusing as the vents point up at the visor and the chin curtain was right under my head and I use a neck doofer so pretty much had no air gap.
Eventually I narrowed it down to the holes in the chin curtain. So I covered them over with patches from a bicycle puncture repair kit. No more excessive air...which is good when riding through winter !!

Like others, I had a bit of bother getting the pinlock to seal properly and again as others have said, the pins can't be adjusted, or at least, not by turning them as you can in the aftermarket kits. Believe it or not, they are actually in the correct position, you just have to keep lifting the pinlock and moving it up or down slightly until it seals. It will seal eventually, I promise. Took me about 10 minutes playing about.

Noise wise, I do a lot of motorway miles and at 70mph it can get a bit noisy as the wind blasts past your ears. I use custom earplugs too, but the wind noise is greater than the sound of the bike exhaust.
Again, as others have said, lifesavers seem to allow air in somehow and you get a different wind sound.

For the money it's good and it's my second Caberg helmet. This replaced an Ego last year.

I think for me though, I'll save up and get the Schuberth C3 next. I tried my pals and it was almost silent on the motorway. Bit pricey though. I'll wait till the C4 comes out to get a "bargain" !!
Old 14-11-16, 06:41 PM   #22
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Value for money Duke is very good, I got a white one a couple of months ago (after seeing how visible a white helmet is on other riders - and a white helmet stays cooler in the sun), bike shop fitted the pinlock and I have not had a problem with misting so far. Quieter than my AGV and less buffeting when you turn your head. Only gripe would be (and it could be my fumble fingers) is that the release button for the lifting front can be a bit challenging to find sometimes. I could happily ride my naked AL7 without earplugs until I fitted a small screen to bike, then the noise level went up, will probably take screen off during summer months. Unlike previous poster I found not enough air coming in to mouth area and I drilled couple of 6mm holes in the inner hard foam to line up with front vents, just enough air for me now (all the air seemed to be routed up across visor before and felt a bit claustrophobic without the visor open to first notch). What I like about sun visor positioning is that it is stepless and will stay in any position (sometime you don't want it fully down as you want to be able to look under lower edge to see instruments but still keep sun out of you eyes). Is very comfortable, my chin is not big enough to hit helmet unless I really make an effort to jut it out.

Safety rating and price are in no way directly connected to each other (the Duke is living proof of that). The Attached DOC file has a great graph chart of cost vs safety. Also link below to site

One thing I like about Caberg is they are made in Italy and not in the No32 peoples crash helmet factory deep in China.

http://billyscrashhelmets.co.uk/cras...-crash-helmet/
Attached Files
File Type: doc crash helmet safety ratings -1.doc (121.0 KB, 0 views)

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 17-11-16 at 01:42 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-18, 04:53 PM   #23
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

I've had mine for 3 and half years now and it's got quite loose, so the lining needs replacing. Also needs a new visor really. Looking at the cost of that and have decided to try something else instead. Been quite pleased with the Duke, but have found it to be quite a large shell and heavy too. I only really realised how heavy when I tried on a few others. The vents have never seemed to work either so I've always ridden with the visor very slightly open. Not great for noise and can get cold in the winter trying to not fog up, although the pin lock does a decent job. I've still never used the sun visor. I tried to a couple of times, but it's so wobbly and distorted that it's fairly useless. I thought all brands would have visors as bad, but I tried on a Shoei GT air and the visor was really clear!

Looks like I'm going to forgoe the visor and flip up front all together as I can get a Shoei NXR for a really good price so going to give that a go. They feel amazingly light by comparison. A bit tighter (definitley tighter when new) but I've been told the Shoei pads break in a lot and they're replaceable with a size up or down too if needed.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-18, 06:33 PM   #24
Bibio
Mega Poster

dont go near the GT Air.. they are schitt. cant close the visor if the chin vent is closed or the visor mists up (yes even with a pinlok), flies get through the chin vent into your eyes, its REALLY noisy, its heavy.... i could go on and on but you get the idea.

the qwest on the other hand is simply superb
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-18, 06:55 PM   #25
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post

the qwest on the other hand is simply superb

I think the Qwest is discontinued now.

The NXR is possibly the newer (although 5 years old now) version of the RF1200, which was meant to be very good too?

I was nearly swayed by the GT Air, but then decided against the sun visor wanting to kee it simple for my next helmet.

The NXR weighs about a quarter of a kilo less than the Duke!
Old 22-10-18, 06:56 PM   #26
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Having said all that, the Duke for the money is very good.
Old 23-10-18, 10:04 AM   #27
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

If you new lid comes with Pinlock fittings you can always get the light reactive one. I have had them on my last two lids and they're excellent. If you're going between sunlight and shade a lot an internal flip visor is handy for instant change but as mine reacts pretty quickly I've never had a problem. You may be able to get a better price by asking for a lid with no insert and then adding the reactive one later or see if they can upgrade the insert if already included.
Old 25-06-20, 06:14 PM   #28
karlsv

Hi all, sorry to ressurrect an old thread. I have been looking at the Caberg Duke 2:

https://sharphelmetchooser.co.uk/helmet/caberg-duke-ii/

Have any of you Duke owners gone on to use one and if so what do you think?
karlsv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-20, 06:44 PM   #29
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Does tend to fog up in cooler weather - the pin lock is really a must ( no wonder it comes with helmet ) fitting seems to get looser (even when not used much like mine - as I prefer to use my AGV, I sometimes use Caberg when weather is hotter but only because it is white, ventilation is a bit pants to be honest so even then AGV better - on Caberg I drilled a few 6mm holes through inner foam in chin area to line up with the mesh inserts in front of helmet to improve airflow ). On Caberg the release button in chin guard to allow front to flip up can be a pain to find with gloves on and if I jut my chin out I can touch the chin guard - so front of helmet is close to face, that may be why visor mists up. The first click detent position on opening visor is too far open for me.

I really prefer my AGV, ventilation much better and can be turned on and off by a slide in chin guard, the visor will open just a slight amount to first detent which is good, and the fit of the AGV has not slackened off - still feels nice and snug, and as I said earlier Duke has slackened off. I have read in reviews that Caberg save money by only having one size of shell for the Duke, so that means for different sizes the inner padding has to change - which maybe means fit may slacken off.

Note - used the Caberg yesterday on hottest day of year ( so far anyway ) and although the white colour worked OK, I was still disappointed with ventilation ( even though I have removed the gubbins from the slide ventilator on top of helmet, so it is open all the time), and as I said first position on visor is too wide for me. On the plus side the helmet is reasonably quiet and does not seem to suffer from as much buffeting as some other I have used - but maybe that is because it is a round shape, which means inside of chin guard is close to chin - to me feels a bit claustrophobic. Lift-up front is useful when stopped ( but I have to take gloves off to find the release button ), but TBH never ridden with it open.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 26-06-20 at 08:59 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote