SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-02-16, 12:47 PM   #1
AlexRider

Default Crashed! Rear ended a Car

So, for anybody who has seen my last two threads, I haven't had the best of luck lately:

Rear ended by a Car
http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=221151

Riding on a flat tyre
http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=221136

After 10,000 miles of riding, I have finally had to lay my bike to rest. Yesterday, I was involved in a collision which occurred at around 7:50AM on my way to work. The sun was extremely blinding; you can see more on the video than I could in person, which says a lot.
The dual carriage way I entered is on a slight incline, and the sun peered over the horizon, causing me to ride totally blind. I was trying to wipe and adjust my visor as I was riding, in the hopes that I could clear my view (of course that didn't work).
As I went to put my hand back down, I realised that I was driving full force into a car. The only reason I saw it was because the top of the car blocked out the sun when I was about half a meter away from his bumper. By this point it was too late.

I ended up flipping over the handle bars and landing on my back. As I was sliding, I was rolled onto my stomach; before having the bike smash down on my back and pinning me underneath.

Don't worry guys, I wouldn't post a topic without some sort of action for you, here's the video:

YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.

Thankfully, I'm okay. I got off lucky with only bruising and a sore back. I haven't seen my bike properly yet, but I know it's a total write off. I'm not insured full comp so I am now stuck without a bike for quite a while.

I will create a follow up video to this and explain everything in more detail there. It's too much to type up. If anybody is interested, I will post up a new thread/video to that and the link will be here:

P.S - I know my screams of shock and pain sound like a dying dog; I will not be offended if you laugh

I've created a new thread regarding the aftermath of this crash - any updates will now go in that thread: http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.p...80#post3038380

Last edited by AlexRider; 24-02-16 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Created new thread for aftermath
Old 19-02-16, 01:21 PM   #2
tom_e

Default Re: Crashed! Rear ended a Car

I actually made an ooooof sound as you hit that, you got off very lucky to come away with just bruises and some aches!

That's the important thing though bikes can be replaced.
tom_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-16, 01:31 PM   #3
L3nny
Mega Poster

Ouch!

Low winter sun is a bugger! I think you found this out but when you can't see, it's not a good idea to continue accelerating.

Best thing about owning an SV is the amount of spares available cheap so I'm sure you'll get it back on the road.
Old 19-02-16, 01:38 PM   #4
yokohama

That looks quite nasty. Glad you are OK. If you are replacing your helmet after that, think about one with an internal sun visor. I find the sun visor on mine is more useful in winter than in the summer.
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-16, 01:52 PM   #5
AlexRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_e View Post
I actually made an ooooof sound as you hit that, you got off very lucky to come away with just bruises and some aches!

That's the important thing though bikes can be replaced.
Yeah, it shocked me how suddenly it appeared. I realise how lucky I am, could have been a lot worse. True that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3nny View Post
Ouch!

Low winter sun is a bugger! I think you found this out but when you can't see, it's not a good idea to continue accelerating.

Best thing about owning an SV is the amount of spares available cheap so I'm sure you'll get it back on the road.
I did indeed find out the hard way. I let off the accelerator and slowed down to 45mph before I went into the back of him (Speed limit is 70mph), by that time it was too late of course. I'm just curious as to why he was going so slow?. Witnesses said that there was no traffic in front of him, which doesn't make sense, so he couldn't have been waiting in a cue. When you take into consideration my speed and the force I went into him, he must have been driving extremely slow for that road.

But anyway, a friend who picked it up told me that I shouldn't repair it due to the condition it's in. But I'll take a look for myself and will include all of that on the follow up video. It is a good thing that they are cheap! Even if it doesn't get fixed, this is just a minor set back. I will be back on one sooner rather than later hopefully

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokohama View Post
That looks quite nasty. Glad you are OK. If you are replacing your helmet after that, think about one with an internal sun visor. I find the sun visor on mine is more useful in winter than in the summer.
Yeah, I'm surprised how lightly I got off. I will definitely get a helmet that has an internal tinted lens, or one where you can swap the visor out easily. The main reason I wasn't wearing a tinted visor was because it is such a pain to change on the helmet I was wearing at the time :-/
Old 19-02-16, 02:05 PM   #6
maviczap
Mega Poster

Flippin heck, that's scary, so glad you're relatively ok. It could have been much worse.

As the others said, a sun visor is a great asset in situations like this. I miss my old helmet which had one, and I'm probably going to get one with one again. Too dam useful.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-16, 02:18 PM   #7
Geodude
Mega Poster

Eeek and ouch! Glad you're okay could have been nasty that, definately made me wince. Car probably slowed down because of the low sun in his eyes?

GWS

Electrical fault finding guide and Regulator rectifier test

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
Geodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-16, 02:26 PM   #8
AlexRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
Flippin heck, that's scary, so glad you're relatively ok. It could have been much worse.

As the others said, a sun visor is a great asset in situations like this. I miss my old helmet which had one, and I'm probably going to get one with one again. Too dam useful.
Thanks, yeah I'm grateful that I've come out relatively unscathed. Definitely something I wish I had at the time and would recommend every biker to have some sort of sun visor at hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geodude View Post
Eeek and ouch! Glad you're okay could have been nasty that, definately made me wince. Car probably slowed down because of the low sun in his eyes?

GWS
Thanks, it could have been very nasty. Yeah, that's the only thing I could think of. Although, I still think he slowed down to a dangerously slow speed for that road. Considering that the two cars that entered the dual carriage way just before me (On video) had actually overtaken him, so they must have been able to see
Old 19-02-16, 02:31 PM   #9
L3nny
Mega Poster

Thought the Focus was at the back of a queue. Was strange that he was pretty much stopped on a 70mph dual carriageway!

+1 with the tinted dropdown visor, although in the winter the one on my HJC gets steamed up meaning I have to ride with the main visor open, which gets a bit nippy.
Old 19-02-16, 02:34 PM   #10
Geodude
Mega Poster

+1 internal visor user here and love it, although mine can rub the end of my nose a bit. Caberg trip tova.

Electrical fault finding guide and Regulator rectifier test

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
Geodude is offline   Reply With Quote