SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-03-19, 04:27 PM   #11
Othen

Default Re: Bloop - what do you think about this problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
You could try the other approach of scarifying the inside. I got an old clutch cable and spread the strands in one end so they made like a chimney sweep's brush. Then fix the other end of the cable in the jaws of an electric drill, poke the brush end up the silencer from the header pipe end and then switch the drill on. Gets loads of carbon out that way, too.

Now that is a really good idea, I think I’ll try that one.
Alan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-03-19, 08:18 PM   #12
punyXpress
Mega Poster

. . or use an acetylene torch. When nicely glowing go heavy on the oxygen ?
Old 10-03-19, 08:41 AM   #13
Craig380
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by punyXpress View Post
. . or use an acetylene torch. When nicely glowing go heavy on the oxygen ?
I know people that have done this, apparently the smokescreen produced is quite spectacular and it's possible to see the 'ring of fire' move along the pipe as the soot, oil & crud burns

The pipe will need repainting / chroming afterwards though
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-19, 09:11 AM   #14
Othen

Default Bloop - what do you think about this problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
I know people that have done this, apparently the smokescreen produced is quite spectacular and it's possible to see the 'ring of fire' move along the pipe as the soot, oil & crud burns

The pipe will need repainting / chroming afterwards though

The metal is pretty thin on the header and muffler, I’ve repaired both with plates and paste but I didn’t dare try MIG welding the plates on, there was just too much risk of burning a hole. I think the exhaust is a bit too delicate to try the ring of fire, but I’ll have a go at the chimney sweep method and hope it is not just the carbon holding it together!
I would not want costs to get out of hand for this project, I dare say I could source a NOS header and muffler (maybe from the Far East where similar bikes seem to still be in manufacture) for £300 to £400, and that would be very smart, but cost as much as the entire project (purchase plus parts, but not my labour (not even at 4p/hour) of course).
The Bloop is fun, I use it half a dozen times a year to ride around town where it always attracts a crowd of middle aged men with beards who had one (or their dads had one) back in the day. My son and my nephew (both aged 14) as well as lots of their school mates have learned to ride on it in the woods, and because it is far from a pristine example I don’t mind changing the odd clutch lever.
Alan

Last edited by Othen; 10-03-19 at 09:13 AM.
Old 10-03-19, 09:55 AM   #15
Othen

Default Bloop - what do you think about this problem?

I just did an eBay search the a Bloop exhaust and found quite good used (but not NOS) parts all available from the USA, the cost would be somewhat prohibitive:

Header: £33.99+&55.45 (shipping)=£89.44
Clamp: £19.19+11.45=£30.44

and a NOS muffler from Thailand:

Muffler: $90+$75 (shipping)=$165 - say £125.

So a total of £265, and probably some import duty (plus the collection fee the crooks at the Post Office charge) as well.

I think my Bloop will be living with it’s patched up 43 year old exhaust for the rest of its days!

Alan

Last edited by Othen; 10-03-19 at 10:07 AM.
Old 10-03-19, 10:08 AM   #16
Seeker
Mega Poster

One of the big problems with cleaning a two stroke exhaust is the fragility of the carrier that holds the baffle. If they become dislodged then the exhaust is scrap since the only way to repair is to cut along the seam, weld the baffle holder back in place, re-weld the seam and then re-chrome. Too expensive for most people, so I'd be careful with the wire "flail".

It's a major headache on the Kawasaki triples which is why so many now have chambers fitted.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-19, 10:11 AM   #17
Othen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
One of the big problems with cleaning a two stroke exhaust is the fragility of the carrier that holds the baffle. If they become dislodged then the exhaust is scrap since the only way to repair is to cut along the seam, weld the baffle holder back in place, re-weld the seam and then re-chrome. Too expensive for most people, so I'd be careful with the wire "flail".

It's a major headache on the Kawasaki triples which is why so many now have chambers fitted.

Perhaps I should be looking for an expansion chamber for the Bloop - and why not a power valve at the same time

Old 10-03-19, 11:14 AM   #18
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Perhaps I should be looking for an expansion chamber for the Bloop - and why not a power valve at the same time

I'm sure Higgs would make you a chamber (for a price) and you'd get more power if jetted for it.

A power valve? Like Yamaha's YPVS? If you thought your exhaust was expensive a YPVS system would require a mortgage. A reed valve would be cheaper but still require ports to be modified. I would stay with stock and just enjoy it for what it is.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-19, 11:18 AM   #19
Othen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post

I wasn’t being very serious Seeker! I’m not sure anyone will have fitted an expansion chamber (much less a power valve) to a Bloop

Old 10-03-19, 11:20 AM   #20
Othen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
I'm sure Higgs would make you a chamber (for a price) and you'd get more power if jetted for it.

A power valve? Like Yamaha's YPVS? If you thought your exhaust was expensive a YPVS system would require a mortgage. A reed valve would be cheaper but still require ports to be modified. I would stay with stock and just enjoy it for what it is.

I wasn’t being very serious Seeker! I’m not sure anyone will have fitted an expansion chamber (much less a power valve) to a Bloop