SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-02-06, 06:18 PM   #1
Freeloader

Default Owww...my pride...my bike...my shoulder...

Had my first off yesterday evening.

I only JUST passed my test and after the bike had been standing for about a week i took her out for a blast.

Got her to about 60mph on the duel carriageway and the brakes locked up (in a straight line) and threw me off.

I fractured my shoulder and dislocated it. A very sore night in casualty and plenty of Morphine. Also wrote off my boots, trousers, helmet, jacket, lid, fairing, indicator, stand, rearset, clutchlever and gloves.

Feel really cheated and gutted. I tihnk i had a build up of gunge on my pistons which casued brakes to overheat (they were rubbing) as the brakes were smoking when i got up off the deck. I had been meaning to clean them, but thought it would clear itself up for the evening (they usually do after 2 or 3 good solid stops...unfortunately i didnt get those stops before i entrered the carriageway)

Everyone is looking down on me because im a young rider (17) like i did something foolish and wrong. I feel like a real stereotypical young male, crashing his bike the second he gets it, but i sort of feel that there was nothing i could have done better.
I wasn't even breaking the speed limit. All the 'told you sos' about bikes are doing my head in despite it being a mehcnical faulire and not human error

Humph.

Yours
a battered and bruised Freeloader
Old 21-02-06, 06:29 PM   #2
GC-SV

Sorry to hear about your off.
I hope you and the bike recover soon.

Get someone to look at the bike to identify the exact cause of the accident, that way at least 1. you will know if it was a mechanical fault 2. you can get it fixed 3. if not mechanical, you can learn from it.

Sounds like you're brakes were binding and possilbly got to a pointed where they locked.
Old 21-02-06, 06:31 PM   #3
bluebell

Hope you make a speedy recovery.
Old 21-02-06, 06:34 PM   #4
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Ouch ouch ouch, sorry to hear about this.

Dont feel to bad, it could have been much much worse.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-06, 06:37 PM   #5
tiggers1963

Ouch get well soon mate
Old 21-02-06, 06:56 PM   #6
aimhamilton

Chin up dude! At least you lived to tell the tale! Thats the main thing...Bikes can be fixed or replaced...you can't!!

Remember...the two types of bikers! Ones that have had accidents and those that are about to have one!

Keep smiling and get back on a bike as soon as you can and face the demons!
Old 21-02-06, 07:04 PM   #7
Lissa
Just Ballast
Mega Poster

Really sorry to hear about your off, and glad you aren't badly hurt. It's a trite but true saying that any crash you walk away from is a good one.

We all have them, and it doesn't matter how old you are or how long you've been riding, sometimes things happen that you have no control over and you're off.

I just hope this doesn't diminish your love for biking. If it helps, I've had three accidents, and it hasn't put me off!

I'd Rather Have Two Big Bangs Than Four Little Strokes
Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-06, 07:24 PM   #8
jonnyb

thats a shame man. sorry. i had my first off last year when i was 17 too. treat it as a learning experience. i'm sure you'll be up and out again in no time! i was!
Old 21-02-06, 07:37 PM   #9
Well Oiled

EXACTLY what happened to my lad (Saint Matt). We had a nice few hours in casualty on a Friday night (along with several drunks, idiots and other low-lifes) but he just had a twisted knee.

Just goes to show you really need to keep on top of maintaining your brakes.

Hope you have a speedy recovery.

Cheers Keith
Old 21-02-06, 07:51 PM   #10
skidmarx

That really is a shocking story, I had no idea binding brakes could lead to this kind of chaos, yer poor bugger! I am always nipping out to the garage to pump the brakes a little when I'm not using it much, no idea why until now!
Put this behind you, rest up, use the healing time to repair the bike yourself WITH a guiding hand if you have one. Make sure you get it completely checked by a mechanic BEFORE you get back on the road, and chin up.
If your lucky you'll develop a mechanical paranoia that'll see you through the next 50 years of riding safely, at least mechanically.....