SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-10-08, 08:27 PM   #1
Phaelok

Default Noisy chain?

Recently took my bike over to JHS and had my bike given a good seein' to with a 15k service, and new chain and sprocks.

The chain seems to be awful noisy! Its lubed up. Im wondering if its the fact that im a 18st man riding a bike thats lowered; more slack needed in the chain for the suspension travel.

If i stiffen up the shock at the rear, i can tighten up the chain? Its really noisy as it goes round!

This normal or not? None of my other bikes were this bad!
Old 14-10-08, 08:41 PM   #2
Stig

Default Re: Noisy chain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaelok View Post
Recently took my bike over to JHS and had my bike given a good seein' to with a 15k service, and new chain and sprocks.

The chain seems to be awful noisy! Its lubed up. Im wondering if its the fact that im a 18st man riding a bike thats lowered; more slack needed in the chain for the suspension travel.

If i stiffen up the shock at the rear, i can tighten up the chain? Its really noisy as it goes round!

This normal or not? None of my other bikes were this bad!
If they have used an aftermarket front sprocket it is quite likely it does not have the rubber cushion on it. This is purely on there to keep the noise down. My front sprocket is also quite noisy because of this very thing.
Old 14-10-08, 09:03 PM   #3
Phaelok

I think it might be the case. Im not too sure though - because the chain is awful noisy, and theres more slack than there should be.

But my thinking is that my chain needs more slack due to the fact that the bike is lowered, and im a heavy chappy - that theres more slack needed in the chain. When the suspension compresses, the chain slack is taken up - well because its lowered and im fat, the chain needs more slack or it might over stretch?
Old 14-10-08, 09:16 PM   #4
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

How much is more slack?Try measuring it with you on the bike if you are worried about how heavy you are,but too much slack is not good.It will cause rapid wear,and difficult gear changes.
Old 14-10-08, 09:18 PM   #5
Phaelok

Hmm, might get a mate to help out when im next in work then...

Its a brand new chain and sprocket set - it shouldnt be wearing THIS fast! If it is then ill be straight back over to JHS to complain about it!
Old 14-10-08, 09:24 PM   #6
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Brand new chains often give a bit as they run in,then settle down.How many miles has it done?
Old 14-10-08, 09:25 PM   #7
Phaelok

Bout 500ish since new - maybe needs adjusting then should be fine?