SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-04-05, 11:36 AM   #21
Ceri JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikageboy
well my origional can was scratched up, and i took it to a dealer who said he could replace it with a standard one for 600 quid, or one made my another company for 200 quid.

how was i supposed to know it was a race can ?
Yes, I may have an "undeclared" non-standard (albeit not race) replacement exhaust on my car. How exactly am I supposed to know? I took it to a garage and they charged me for a replacement. Am I suppose to jack it up and crawl underneath to take a look?
Old 06-04-05, 01:23 PM   #22
Splosh

Oh come on gang........ Talk about making mountains out of molehills....

You technowaffle-heads are causing huge migrains amoungst us mere mortals of the engineering and 'dabbling' world. Your convo's on simple things like cans are driving me potty......

"NOT FOR ROAD USE" - Legal yes or no

Is it that hard to say they are illegal or legal???????????????

Confirmation here would be appreciated by all members of the 'sane' human biking race...............

Cracking Migrane
AKA
Splosh
xxxxx
Old 06-04-05, 01:25 PM   #23
Carsick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splosh
"NOT FOR ROAD USE" - Legal yes or no

Is it that hard to say they are illegal or legal???????????????
Exactly as it says on the tin.
Not for road use means illegal and will not pass an MOT.

Fraser said that in his original post.
Old 06-04-05, 05:50 PM   #24
fraser01

Quote:
can i ask a question fraizer ?
do you have a tinted visor, small plate or a race can ? he he he

cheers for finding out for us all BTW.

No, no and no......

anymore questions

and bikageboy...you welcome..........
Old 06-04-05, 05:55 PM   #25
Jelster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraser01
Quote:

No, no and no......

anymore questions

Most coppers I have met admit to having dark visors (they actually agree that they are better) and sometimes "non standard" exhausts. But even the dark visor thing is ridiculous; as far as I am aware, you may have up to a 20% tint on your visor, but there is no legislation to cover how dark my sunglasses can be when I ride/drive...... Now that's silly !

Old 06-04-05, 06:09 PM   #26
northwind
Mega Poster

Definately... It's nonsense like that that must drive the cops mental... if I didn't use my dark visor on winter's mornings I'd be a danger- shades just dpn't work as well- and to their credit both times I was stopped this year the traffic cops gave me no grief at all over that.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-05, 06:11 PM   #27
fraser01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelster
Quote:
Quote:

No, no and no......

anymore questions

Most coppers I have met admit to having dark visors (they actually agree that they are better) and sometimes "non standard" exhausts. But even the dark visor thing is ridiculous; as far as I am aware, you may have up to a 20% tint on your visor, but there is no legislation to cover how dark my sunglasses can be when I ride/drive...... Now that's silly !

Thats right mate, i have my own views on the kit, and if you know me and have had time to chat to me in person then that will become apparent, obviously i have to be careful what advice i give out on the forum as peeps know what i do for a living...wouldnt want to give them false information, but yes i understand what your saying about the visors and exhausts.... but sun glasses you can just take off....bit more difficult for a visor....however if the visor is up and your wearing sunnies then they have to comply with the legislation....i.e be shatterproof etc.....
Old 06-04-05, 06:34 PM   #28
Warren

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelster
Quote:
Quote:

No, no and no......

anymore questions

Thats right mate, i have my own views on the kit, and if you know me and have had time to chat to me in person then that will become apparent, obviously i have to be careful what advice i give out on the forum as peeps know what i do for a living...wouldnt want to give them false information, but yes i understand what your saying about the visors and exhausts.... but sun glasses you can just take off....bit more difficult for a visor....however if the visor is up and your wearing sunnies then they have to comply with the legislation....i.e be shatterproof etc.....
really ? i never knew that.
Old 06-04-05, 06:50 PM   #29
Couerdelion

Yeah was told about the sunglasses by the instructors when doing the CBT.

I have both an illegal exhaust and sometimes a visor. But I minimise my chances of gettng pulled by carrying a clear visor and by riding sensibly.

The only times I have been stopped by the police has been at the docks on my way to and from Ireland. Once cause my number plate had dropped off and once for looking suspicious I guess. They had a look round the motorbike but even though the exhaust says 'Not for road use' the police never mentioned it. The ART exhaust is loud though and trying to start the bike in the Customs shed without it making too much noise is hard
Old 06-04-05, 08:00 PM   #30
rob13

Im about to become an enforcer of the law and while i changed my race can for a road legal baffled one, my plate is slightly smaller than standard. I understand that instructors of bikesafes and ridewells turn a blind eye to these when instructing as it would discourage many riders from attending these sessions. I use a tinted insert rather than a tinted visor, purely because i dont like carrying a spare everywhere i go.