SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-12-04, 01:06 PM   #1
kevbuck

Default Hel Brake Hoses

Just fitted the hoses I got off ebay. all the parts were there they went on ok and they look good..

But how the f*$* do you bleed the twin hoses at the front. I have been at this for over two hours (it only took 1 to fit them). I can`t feel any resistance on the lever at all. if I tighten the bleed nipples and pump I cannot even feel a build up of air. if I loosen the nipples I can see air bubbles comming out but nothing else. The fluid I have put in does not seem to be going down

Heeeeeeeelp
Old 20-12-04, 01:11 PM   #2
Flamin_Squirrel

Might be worth investing in a bleeding kit - £5 from halfords. Or, get someone to help you as it's easier with two people.

When you pull on the lever, the bleed nipple must be open, but it must be closed again before you release - are you doing this? (which is why its handy to have two people, one to open/close the nipple, one to operate the lever)

You must also bleed both sides before you'll get resistance... but if you're only getting air out and not brake fluid, something isnt right.

Also, make sure you keep the fluid resevoir filled up. If air gets in at the top you'll have to start all over again.
Old 20-12-04, 01:18 PM   #3
Santa Claus

Ahhh, i had this trouble on the sleight one year. Now this may seem stange but bear with me.

Obtain a good length of windscreen washer hose, the clear stuff. I'd recommend about 6-10ft. Attach it to the bleed nipple put the other end in your mouth and start to suck , whilst undoing the nipple. As the fluid comes out you can see it flowing up the pipe. Close the nipple whilst still sucking, empty tube, repeat until fewer bubbles are present in the tube. Do the same for the other side.

This will at lest get fluid into the lines. The continue to bleed the claipers one at a time using a Gunson one man bleed kit from Halfords or such like.

Once done and you have some feel in the lever, cable tie your lever to the handle bars over night and you should have a good feel in the lever.

I hope this helps. Now i'm off to beat up some elves
Old 20-12-04, 01:21 PM   #4
rukus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa Claus
Ahhh, i had this trouble on the sleight one year. Now this may seem stange but bear with me.

Obtain a good length of windscreen washer hose, the clear stuff. I'd recommend about 6-10ft. Attach it to the bleed nipple put the other end in your mouth and start to suck , whilst undoing the nipple. As the fluid comes out you can see it flowing up the pipe. Close the nipple whilst still sucking, empty tube, repeat until fewer bubbles are present in the tube. Do the same for the other side.

This will at lest get fluid into the lines. The continue to bleed the claipers one at a time using a Gunson one man bleed kit from Halfords or such like.

Once done and you have some feel in the lever, cable tie your lever to the handle bars over night and you should have a good feel in the lever.

don't forget that dot4 removes paint so what it'd do to the inside of your mouth is unthinkable!! don't empty the hose then stick the contaminated end in you gob!
Old 20-12-04, 01:24 PM   #5
Viney
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rukus
Quote:

don't forget that dot4 removes paint so what it'd do to the inside of your mouth is unthinkable!! don't empty the hose then stick the contaminated end in you gob!
As long as you dont swallow I have used the above method and it is/can be very effective.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-04, 01:31 PM   #6
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

It is a bugger to bleed the brakes. Takes ages for the "bleed" to start, but when it does, it takes seconds. Took me about 25 minutes of lever pumping to get it going and then about 30 seconds to complete.

Try removing the banjo bolt and make sure the caliper is filled with oil. Make sure the reservoir is filled with oil. I then started pumping the lever with my hand over the top of the reservoir. I have got a one way bleed valve so you don't have to keep opening and shutting the bleed nipple. Don't know why it takes so long.

Scoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-04, 01:33 PM   #7
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

Quote:
Obtain a good length of windscreen washer hose, the clear stuff. I'd recommend about 6-10ft. Attach it to the bleed nipple put the other end in your mouth and start to suck , whilst undoing the nipple. As the fluid comes out you can see it flowing up the pipe. Close the nipple whilst still sucking,
Tried this. Couldn't suck anywhere near hard enough to draw the fluid through. My ears started to bleed!

Old 20-12-04, 03:03 PM   #8
kevbuck

Thanks for you advice. there was two of us and we were using a bleed kit but still nothing. I think it will be the wiper hose next or the hammer.

there seem to be no resistance at all in the lever. we thought it might have been a blocked nipple but we are getting no pressure at all, air or fluid.
Old 20-12-04, 03:22 PM   #9
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevbuck
Thanks for you advice. there was two of us and we were using a bleed kit but still nothing. I think it will be the wiper hose next or the hammer.

there seem to be no resistance at all in the lever. we thought it might have been a blocked nipple but we are getting no pressure at all, air or fluid.
Exactly what I was experiencing!

Old 20-12-04, 03:35 PM   #10
Viney
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs
It is a bugger to bleed the brakes. Takes ages for the "bleed" to start, but when it does, it takes seconds. Took me about 25 minutes of lever pumping to get it going and then about 30 seconds to complete.

Try removing the banjo bolt and make sure the caliper is filled with oil. Make sure the reservoir is filled with oil. I then started pumping the lever with my hand over the top of the reservoir. I have got a one way bleed valve so you don't have to keep opening and shutting the bleed nipple. Don't know why it takes so long.
OIL Dont you mean Fluid...young man
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote