SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-05-18, 07:35 AM   #1
daktulos

Default What to do?

Hi,

I'm looking for advice - I have a 2000 curvy with very low milage (it was unfortunately off road for most of its life). Apart from its first service, I've always looked after it myself.

While I love it, it's getting to the age where more is going wrong. For example, I have a small coolant leak from the pump, and I don't really have the time or confidence to rebuild the pump myself.

I'm almost tempted to buy a new AL7, but I'd have to put it on the never-never and I guess I'd end up paying the dealer for annual services, too. I've had a look at second-hand AL7s, and the prices seem to be almost as much as new.

Unfortunately, I'm not a fan of pointies (sorry!) and don't want a Gladius, so what would your opinion be? Keep going with the curvy, look for a good second-hand AL7 or bite the bullet and pick up a new one?

Thanks!

Richard
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-18, 07:49 AM   #2
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Default Re: What to do?

I guess it just comes down to your time management. A "small water leak" is an easy fix that just requires a little time invested by you to learn how to fix it, or time at work earning money to pay someone else to fix it for you....... Buying a new bike requires a similar investment of time. Would you prefer to spend your time developing your skill set or funding someone else lifestyle?

I personally don't own a new bike, and certainly wouldn't buy one on any kind of finance, but maybe I have the luxury of being able to make such a decision. I'm not sure age is a reason for unreliability, ignorance around how it all works certainly is. People seem to have some kind of hang up about spending a few hundred quid maintaining an older cheap bike, yet will happily blow twice as much on "servicing" a newer model. It's just a bike, you get out what you put in.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-18, 08:14 AM   #3
daktulos

Thanks Red Herring. I'm sure you're right - particularly about the cost of servicing. I guess I should investigate the options for rebuilding the pump first.

Thanks again,

Richard
Old 14-05-18, 09:19 AM   #4
Talking Heads

Go on get a new one, you know you want to...

Due to the superior fuel economy a dealer serviced AL7 can have lower overall running costs than a home serviced Curvy.

Don't know where you're looking at used prices, I've seen AL7s on BikeTrader from £3995
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-18, 09:32 AM   #5
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Doesn't seem to be that hard a job on the SV.Way harder on my old Honda CXs.

I'm with the DIY crew.If it's low mileage but basically decent then spend some money on building up a good set of tools.They will pay dividends for years.With the help from the many knowledgeable people on forums you will always have someone around to Mentor/Help.

Decent video here,

YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.

Extra info here,

http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122809

http://www.sv-portal.com/forums/5-tw...pump-seal.html

HTH#

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 14-05-18 at 08:33 PM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-18, 10:23 AM   #6
daktulos

R1ffR4ff - I saw that video, it didn't fill me with confidence that the bearings and seals were fit by a Suzuki dealer! I also found this description:

http://www.svrider.com/articles/feb02/waterpump.htm

I'd be happy to give it a go, but if I get it wrong, it could be catastrophic.

I'm going to get a quote from a local garage and take it from there.

Talking Heads - I don't think I do enough miles for fuel economy to make a difference, but then I found out today my work is moving from East to West London, so it may all change.

Thanks,

Richard
Old 14-05-18, 10:34 AM   #7
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by daktulos View Post
R1ffR4ff - I saw that video, it didn't fill me with confidence that the bearings and seals were fit by a Suzuki dealer! I also found this description:

http://www.svrider.com/articles/feb02/waterpump.htm

I'd be happy to give it a go, but if I get it wrong, it could be catastrophic.

I'm going to get a quote from a local garage and take it from there.

Talking Heads - I don't think I do enough miles for fuel economy to make a difference, but then I found out today my work is moving from East to West London, so it may all change.

Thanks,

Richard
Yes I've just read that link and it's very good IMHO along with other info.

See what a few garages say and or do you know any other Handy bikers to help?

It would be a shame to not service a decent SV IMHO.

The other problem people have with motorcycles that have not been used is electrics but it's dead easy to clean and service the connectors using a small screwdriver with some 500 grit paper wrapped around it if need be to remove corrosion from pins/sockets and then spray with Switch cleaner(£3.99 from Halfrauds which is not a bad price) and then Treat with ACF50.

ACF50 is wonderful stuff and does more than it says on the Tin

http://www.acf-50.co.uk/motorcycle.htm
Old 14-05-18, 10:40 AM   #8
Talking Heads

If you're going to be battling across London IMO you might be better off getting a CVT scooter for the commute and keep the curvy for fun on days off?
There's nothing like a nippy wee scooter for slicing through traffic, its the ultimate city commuting tool.
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-18, 10:41 AM   #9
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Heads View Post
If you're going to be battling across London IMO you might be better off getting a CVT scooter for the commute and keep the curvy for fun on days off?
There's nothing like a nippy wee scooter for slicing through traffic, its the ultimate city commuting tool.
Damn fine point Sir!
Old 14-05-18, 11:07 AM   #10
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

My 1999 curvy has more like 50k miles on it, and while it's reliable, the age is showing. I guess some of them are related to mileage though, for example the main connector started to burn out on the solenoid, where the main power wire feeds the rest of the bike. To be honest it's done well though ( and it's done a good few track days plus a few Euro trips, I've had it since less than 1 year old), and if you enjoy riding it then just look at fixing the leak (ease and cost depends on where it is coming from - don't just buy a new pump then see what the problem is, could be just a split hose, I had one of those). New bikes are an expensive luxury, but that's an individual choice.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote