SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Tyres Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 23-12-05, 02:01 PM   #1
Saracen

Default Mez Z6/Pirelli Diablo Stradas or Conti Road Attacks?

I need a change quite soon, but which shall I go for. Most important thing for me is the life of the tyre. Although it's a silly reason I know, I'm leaning towards the Conti's because the tread pattern is so interesting.

Also what's the best prices people have had for either including fitting onto the bike? And where?

Thanks all.
Old 23-12-05, 02:09 PM   #2
mattSV
Mega Poster

Not sure where in the country you are, however Micheldever Tyres are one of the cheapest in the country:-

http://www.micheldever.co.uk/

I have Z6s on my SV1000 - paid £165 fitted at Micheldever.

They are not just cheap, their service is excellent as well - I have used them for all of my car and bike tyres over the last 5 years, and have never had any problems whatsoever.

HTH

Matt
2013 - 2016 Triumph Explorer 1200
2016 - Ducati Multistrada DVT S
mattSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-05, 02:11 PM   #3
Viney
Mega Poster

My choice would be the Z6's. I have the Attacks and personaly i think they are a poor tyre compared to the z6's which my girlfriend has.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-05, 02:43 PM   #4
Saracen

Oops, I'm London or Essex (within M25). Oh, but the Conti's look so nice!
Old 23-12-05, 02:55 PM   #5
Viney
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saracen
Oops, I'm London or Essex (within M25). Oh, but the Conti's look so nice!
They do, but they aint that good to be honest. Dont be fooled by the looks.

I cant comment on the stradas as i have never ridden on them. I rode on Bridgestones for the life of the bike (40000 miles worth) and swapped after advice to the attacks. I found them just plain nasty. However, this is only my opinion. There are other members that say good things about them. But there are more than a few people with good things to say about the Metz Z6's
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-05, 03:05 PM   #6
jonboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney
They do, but they aint that good to be honest
Yada, yada, yada...

Don't listen to him folks the RAs are great tyres, see the several threads about them. However, different folks like different tyres so just because someone recommends something it doesn't necessarily mean you'll like them too. Just ask to try before you buy... (oh, you can't do that can you ).

The Z6s are, by all account, pretty good, but if I wasn't going for the RAs (which I have at the moment) then I think the Stradas just might be a tad better.

Quote:
...compared to the z6's which my girlfriend has
Yeah right. Blow-up dolls can't ride and don't count .

Old 23-12-05, 03:14 PM   #7
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Viney's a good rider whose opinion I value, but he is a minority, I think it's fair to say that most everyone who has tried them thinks they're good. A couple of people who've had them have stated that they were disappointed with the wear rate, I don't think it's just a coincidence that they have shocks which are a dab past the sell by date though, .

FWIW I had a pair of the Contis, now I have Pirelli Stradas, I slightly preferred the Contis. The Pirellis aren't done yet, but the wear rate is comparable with the Contis, from which I got a little over 8000 miles, not bad on a 1000 I think.

Make of that what you will of course - just my way of thinking.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-05, 03:22 PM   #8
Saracen

OK, so prices? (and places on both sets). I've been quoted £180 ride-in ride-out on the stradas or Z6s or £170 for the Conti's. ANyone got better prices to put to my local lot?

Thanks again. I'm more confident with the Conti's now that Sid Squid has given them his seal of approval.
Old 23-12-05, 08:07 PM   #9
jonboy

You should be able to get the Contis for £160 fitted (if not a little less, depending upon where you are geographically).

Old 24-12-05, 12:03 AM   #10
Saracen

I'm not exactly an experienced rider. Rode 125's for about 4 years, never noticing tyres. Those things are so thin you may as well be on banana skins.

So I'm not quite looking for annything specific from my tyre except good grip and good life.

Thanks for all the advice.