SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-01-06, 08:41 PM   #1
Banus

Default Tyre Pressures

I know we all get fed up of hearing it, and probably feel that being told to “check your tyre pressures regularly” is just something we think is just included to help to fill a few minutes on a CBT / training course. But you really do need to keep an eye on those tyre pressures – and this is why !!
Went out for a jolly just before Xmas having not ridden my bike for 3 weeks or so. Shock & horror, even at 15-20 mph it was totally unrideable and literally all over the place. Handling was bad enough to make me pull over at the first opportunity and have a detailed roadside inspection of suspension / front forks etc….it was literally totally unrideable.
Couldn’t see anything obvious so I gingerly made my way the quarter of a mile ride to Tesco’s (this is prior to receiving my new digi pressure gauge from Santa) to check and find my front tyre was about 6 psi down. “Ok” I thought. Its down a bit, but it certainly isn’t responsible for making my bike behave like it did. Well it was!
After putting the suggested 33psi back in I could not believe the difference it made to the handling, and, had I not sorted it, within half a mile I’d have been in the gutter – so check ‘em regularly !!!!
I made the big mistake of relating the problem to car tyre pressures. You can drive a car with your pressures down a few psi and not really notice it – but you can’t on a bike. Don’t mean to teach to suck eggs etc etc – just thought I’d pass this on……
Old 16-01-06, 11:05 AM   #2
Ping

If I'm riding regularly I check mine every couple of days, but if not then I check them before I go out.
Old 16-01-06, 11:18 AM   #3
Viney
Mega Poster

Check mine once a week.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-06, 05:24 PM   #4
independentphoto

Nice one. Can't say this too many times. See my comments here:

http://forums.sv650.org/viewtopic.ph...062&highlight=

Now trying to check 'em before every ride ( takes no time compared to kitting up!)

Cheers,
Garry