SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum



Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 24-10-19, 02:07 PM   #1
SV650rules
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Shropshire UK
Posts: 937
Default Anyone tried Tectane PW 697

Anyone tried this on their bike or car, will be changing summer wheels to winter wheels soon on our cars ( steel wheels and Nokian winter tyres, alloys with summer tyres in the garage till March ) and thought about spraying brake pipes and suspension bits with this Tectane PW 697 - have looked on classic car sites and they rate it as an easy to apply tenacious anti-corrosion sealer, don't think I would use it on electrical bits like ACF50, but it is safe on plastic and rubber..... may be an alternative to ACF50 on forks, engine ( good to 100degC ) etc and cheaper..

https://www.idealsealants.com/techni...00ml-x-12-p199

They also have a special on Den Braven Tectane chain spray
https://www.idealsealants.com/techni...ore-08-19-p203
__________________
SV650 AL7

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 24-10-19 at 02:10 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-19, 06:57 PM   #2
R1ffR4ff
Member
Mega Poster
 
R1ffR4ff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: JAMOADR(1999 Naked Curvy)
Posts: 1,158
Default Re: Anyone tried Tectane PW 697

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
Anyone tried this on their bike or car, will be changing summer wheels to winter wheels soon on our cars ( steel wheels and Nokian winter tyres, alloys with summer tyres in the garage till March ) and thought about spraying brake pipes and suspension bits with this Tectane PW 697 - have looked on classic car sites and they rate it as an easy to apply tenacious anti-corrosion sealer, don't think I would use it on electrical bits like ACF50, but it is safe on plastic and rubber..... may be an alternative to ACF50 on forks, engine ( good to 100degC ) etc and cheaper..

https://www.idealsealants.com/techni...00ml-x-12-p199

They also have a special on Den Braven Tectane chain spray
https://www.idealsealants.com/techni...ore-08-19-p203

Use the ACF50 and save your money
__________________
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-19, 08:49 AM   #3
SV650rules
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Shropshire UK
Posts: 937
Default Re: Anyone tried Tectane PW 697

I will still use ACF on electrical bits ( and have used it under car before, but not on bike mechanical bits as mine never sees wet weather ), but this is a different sort of spray - and as I said it gets good write ups in LandRover and classic car forums.... That chain spray is very cheap during the promotion and at that price you could use it every journey - this stuff is made in Germany but hopefully it will be better value, better made and more reliable than some of their cars.......
__________________
SV650 AL7

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-19, 08:56 AM   #4
R1ffR4ff
Member
Mega Poster
 
R1ffR4ff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: JAMOADR(1999 Naked Curvy)
Posts: 1,158
Default Re: Anyone tried Tectane PW 697

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
I will still use ACF on electrical bits ( and have used it under car before, but not on bike mechanical bits as mine never sees wet weather ), but this is a different sort of spray - and as I said it gets good write ups in LandRover and classic car forums.... That chain spray is very cheap during the promotion and at that price you could use it every journey - this stuff is made in Germany but hopefully it will be better value, better made and more reliable than some of their cars.......
Big tin of GT85 from Wilkos 3 quid<grin>

I use it as a water repellent on my Boots/Gloves and Jacket and as a quick maintenance spray on all my levers joints and on my Chain etc if I can't be arsed to oil it.Also on/in my garage locks/door locks and hinges
__________________
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-19, 10:38 AM   #5
SV650rules
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Shropshire UK
Posts: 937
Default Re: Anyone tried Tectane PW 697

I also use GT85 for a lot of things as it is way better than WD40, but it can hardly be described as 'leaving a clear tenacious film behind' so I would not use it under the car as a protection on brake pipes and suspension bits.... I have ordered the PW 697 and will give some feedback about how it performs, in the past I have used cheap chain lube under vehicles because it creeps into small gaps and dries to a sticky film, but decided this may be worth a try. My brother will take half the tins anyway as 12x 400mil tins way too much for what I need.
__________________
SV650 AL7

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-19, 11:03 AM   #6
R1ffR4ff
Member
Mega Poster
 
R1ffR4ff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: JAMOADR(1999 Naked Curvy)
Posts: 1,158
Default Re: Anyone tried Tectane PW 697

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
I also use GT85 for a lot of things as it is way better than WD40, but it can hardly be described as 'leaving a clear tenacious film behind' so I would not use it under the car as a protection on brake pipes and suspension bits.... I have ordered the PW 697 and will give some feedback about how it performs, in the past I have used cheap chain lube under vehicles because it creeps into small gaps and dries to a sticky film, but decided this may be worth a try. My brother will take half the tins anyway as 12x 400mil tins way too much for what I need.
Yeh it does sound like decent stuff
__________________
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-19, 11:47 AM   #7
embee
Member
Mega Poster
 
embee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Warwickshire
Posts: 2,688
Default Re: Anyone tried Tectane PW 697

I use various Bilt Hamber products for the car, the UB/UC/S50 aerosols are very effective I find. If you can make up a big enough order to get free p&p, I found their own shop is the cheapest place, for smaller amounts then there are other retail suppliers (Opie Oils etc). The UC is a clear product good for visible areas, but being rather sticky/waxy it does get dirty. S50 is a good compromise general purpose product.
https://www.bilthamber.com/corrosion...st-treatments/
__________________
"Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"

Last edited by embee; 25-10-19 at 11:49 AM.
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-19, 02:42 PM   #8
Craig380
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 834
Default Re: Anyone tried Tectane PW 697

This is an interesting long-term test of the various bike corrosion-prevention sprays: https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocia...on-protectants

Oddly, one of the best performing (and most cost-effective) sprays in the test was the Scottoiler FS365 spray - but only when re-applied regularly. However, in fairness that is how it's designed to be used, and it's certainly no hardship to give the bike a quick spray down with the stuff after a wet ride, or washing.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-19, 04:15 PM   #9
SV650rules
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Shropshire UK
Posts: 937
Default Re: Anyone tried Tectane PW 697

Well I sprayed some Tectane on a piece of sheet metal yesterday and left it overnight, have to say it has cured overnight in the cold to a semi-transparent pretty tough film that marks slightly when I drag my fingernail across it but shows no sign of scratching off, so when I change car wheels over next week I will be spraying it liberally on suspension arms, nuts and bolts and brake pipes ( and maybe even on rear boxes of exhausts, as it says good to 100degC ) , but will spray ABS sensor wiring plugs with ACF-50 as usual...

The Tectane dissolves with white spirit / turps so will come off OK.
__________________
SV650 AL7

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 03-11-19 at 04:27 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.