SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-01-12, 03:55 PM   #1
daffyduck1962

Default Lowering - how?

I need to lower my wife's bike, as she is 5'1". I know I can buy a lowering kit for the reaar suspension, but by how much? How far do I lower the forks through the clamps, and how do I adjust the sidestandd to compensate for the lowered height?
Old 15-01-12, 03:59 PM   #2
daffyduck1962

Default Re: lowering kit

I need to lower my wife's new SV650 (03 plate). She is 5'1" tall. I know I can buy a lowering kit, but how much do I need to lower it by? How far do I lower the front forksthrough the clamps, and how do I adjust the side stand to compensate for the drop in height?
Old 15-01-12, 08:44 PM   #3
GIZZY66

Default Re: lowering kit

I've just removed the lowered dog bones yesterday , the lassie I bought the bike from was 5' , there was no change to the front just the rear . its a 2 min job , it takes longer to lift the rear of the bike up . two bolts 17mm one side 14mm the other , 80nm torque , if you want the lowering bones let me know , just pay the post .
Old 15-01-12, 09:40 PM   #4
daffyduck1962

Default Re: Lowering - how?

Yes please, let me know what you want me to do next.
Old 15-01-12, 10:21 PM   #5
GIZZY66

Hi , pm me your address and i will post them this week , you can send me the postage fee by return , that seem fair ?
Old 16-01-12, 06:39 AM   #6
daffyduck1962

Thumbs up Re: Lowering - how?

Will do it today. Many thanks again.
Old 16-01-12, 04:35 PM   #7
jambo
Mega Poster

I'm 6ft 3or 4 ish, so it seems a bit wierd this, but I've been involved in lowering a few SVs. I would strongly recommend:
1) Not winding the rear preload off to "lower it" it will do no such thing, I've seen it done and it means someone of very little weight can bottom the rear shock out.
2) Slide the yokes down the forks by around 8-10mm. Any more than that and the dust seals wil start hitting the bottom yoke under full compression.
3) Take the time to try and set the front and rear preload correctly.

If the rear is lowered and the front left as is, especially if the preload is too low, the bike just steers very slowly, and not in a "slow and stable" way, more in a "why won't this thing turn properly?" kind of a way, and that doesn't help people's confidence at all.

Jambo
Old 16-01-12, 05:13 PM   #8
daffyduck1962

Thanks for that piece of info. I did wonder about the effects on the steering. If all else fails she will be riding the bike with 2" lumps of wood nailed to her boots, or stabilisers!

Do I need to alter the side stand?