SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-06-05, 12:03 PM   #1
goof

Default Can't get an oil reading....

Strange one this, followed from my previous post. With the bike on the side stand I couldn't really get a reading (understandably) - it was lower than the window (I pressume - or just because it was tilted) and I could see that little metal star inside.

I've now got the bike on a paddock stand, where pressumably I can get a correct reading, but now I can't see anything through the window at all...not even the star thingy
Would this indicate there's too much oil in there or what!?

Also, the 18,000 mile service was done on the bike about a year and a half ago but the bike has only done 1000 miles since. Am I best just replacing the oil & filter now? I was going to but the service interval says it's got another 5K before the oil & filter need replacing.
Old 21-06-05, 12:10 PM   #2
philc2000

First off, take it off the paddock stand and put it back on it's wheels on a flat surface, get someone to hold the handle bars then have a look. Sometimes paddock stands can tip the bike up too much giving a false reading.

You're supposed to change the oil every year or when you reach the mileage interval - whichever comes sooner - that's what it says in the manual anyway.
Old 21-06-05, 12:10 PM   #3
goof

Ah, thanks Phil, change it is then!
Old 21-06-05, 12:11 PM   #4
Carsick

You might find that while it's on a paddock stand the forward tilt brings too much oil into view.
You're supposed to check the oil on flat ground with the bike upright.
Old 21-06-05, 12:59 PM   #5
goof

Yeah, I used to get an ok reading fir oil with my last bike on the paddock but I guess it didn't have as pitched an engine as the SV.

But unfortunately, just went out to drain it and the god damn draining bolt's rounded

As I'm changing the filter too, will I be able to drain the oil through the filter port?
Old 21-06-05, 01:02 PM   #6
Carsick

It won't all drain out through the filter port cos it's not the lowest point.
A few people have had similar problems and I think what they did was try to get a slightly smaller socket over the bolt and then remove it that way. Don't forget to get a replacement and don't blame me if you knacker your engine casing.
Old 21-06-05, 01:17 PM   #7
goof

Thanks Carsick - actually, hold on, think I was doing the wrong bolt, pics in the downloaded manual are crap

Assuming I do get it drained, will I need this special tool the manual refers to to remove/install the filter?
The manual says in one sentence "screw it in by hand" and in the next, "do not tighten the filter by hand"

Stick around and pull up a chair, sure I'll have another question in a minute
Old 21-06-05, 01:20 PM   #8
Carsick

a filter wrench is handy, but they're not vital, so long as you can get it tight enough by hand.
I think it's 2 full turns once the seal has made contact.
I bought a universal filter wrench cos I can't get mine tight enough by hand and I got fed up of denting the things with a chain wrench.
Old 21-06-05, 01:34 PM   #9
goof

Told you, I'm back

Ok, oil is drained \/

However, I can make out bugger all from the manual pics and it just says "remove oil filter"

I know there's the black circular cap I'm guessing I need to get off but as far as I can see there's no bolts around it. Could you guide me through this? Would be much appreciated!
Old 21-06-05, 01:37 PM   #10
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

The whole filter just spins on. Normal right hand thread. Just unspin it. It may be too tight to undo by hand. You can just stick a screwdriver through it and lever it off with that.

Scoobs is offline   Reply With Quote