SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-05-07, 07:31 PM   #1
GeeMac

Default Yet Another Nooby

Hi Ho!!

Been reading these forums for a bit now, thought I really should register and say howdy.

Relatively new to this 2 wheeled thing...had a curvy blue K2 for around 3 months now (yup, love it!)...bought it the day I passed my DAS and traded away the L-plated RS125 I lived (and learned!) on for 6 months. So perhaps "relatively" is the wrong word since I'm only 9 months in..."incredibly new and fresh faced" sounds more like it.

As much as I love the SV my old little Aprilia made more noise, even though most of it was either "putt putt putt" or something rattling somewhere. After the 500th suicidal pedestrian stepped out in front of me today on my morning commute via Cheapside (London, innit guv) then decided to look round as I was doing the whole brake/horn combo thing, I made my mind up to change the can. Got a Scorpion oval one coming to my local dealer who'll fit it as well...I admit that taking a hacksaw to my bike does scare me! If it makes it sound great then that's a winner...frankly if it makes it sound anything at all I'll be happy!! And if it makes loonies on 2 legs think twice...I'll be ecstatic.

Ok, sorry for the ramble...on to a general question. I've had a few "issues" with the brakes on the SV. I know it's all relative, however the stopping power on that little RS I had was stunning...yeah it's smaller, lighter etc, I know...but it really could stop on a penny. I've had the occasional moment on the SV where I've really wondered for a split second if I am going to pull it up in time, then squeezed harder and had no worries...just feels odd. I've been told that braided hoses are the way to go and am looking at getting a stainless set and perhaps even persuading my lovely local dealer to fit them while they do the can for me (yup, I am lazy, it's genetic). Is it worth doing both front and back or simply just the front? My common sense tells me front is all that's needed and doing the back would be a waste...
Old 16-05-07, 07:53 PM   #2
hovis

Default Re: Yet Another Nooby

hello
Old 16-05-07, 09:06 PM   #3
phil24_7
Mega Poster

Common sense? You won't get much of that from the org!!!!

Heeloo by the way!

I'm not here for a long time, I'm here for a good time!

Blue SV650 K3, GSX-R K5 front end, TL1000S clip-ons, lower fairings, seat cowl, gel seat, Pyramid undertray, R&G crash bungs, stainless steel bar ends, full titanium Akrapovic exhaust, Power Commander, clear rear light, flush mount front indys, mini rear indys, Autocom 300 duo intercom, Acumen cat 1 alarm and Micheline Pilot Power 2ct's.
phil24_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-07, 09:10 PM   #4
GeeMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil24_7 View Post
Common sense? You won't get much of that from the org!!!!
Ok then, replace that then with "the tingling feeling in my nether region"

Old 16-05-07, 09:12 PM   #5
jessie

welcome aboard!!
Old 16-05-07, 09:13 PM   #6
cuffy

Ow do n welcome to the madhouse

As for the breaking, come down through the gears n let the engine scrub it off

Sure someone will be along to offer more technical advice in a mo
Old 16-05-07, 10:49 PM   #7
Baph

For the cost, if you're going to get the front hoses, you might as well get the back too IMO.

That said, the back is a bit of a double edged sword. As I'm sure you're aware, it's all too easy to lock the back of a bike up. Putting braided hoses on the SV increases this chance of lockup. Can you remember to use less pressure on the back end (even if only marginal)?

If you can, go for it.

Oh, and welcome
Old 16-05-07, 11:25 PM   #8
GeeMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
As I'm sure you're aware, it's all too easy to lock the back of a bike up.
Indeed...and I managed to prove this quite a few times in the very early days on my old RS before I actually realised the front wouldn't kill me

Well considering I hardly use the back much now, just a touch of balance here and there and it helps when weaving through gaps in London rush hour, I'll probably not bother with doing that one. It's better feel through the front that I'm after...but a bit better stopping power wouldn't go amiss as well. It's the way the brakes don't do much at all for a bit before kicking in just in time that bugs me!! Or maybe it's just me
Old 17-05-07, 05:10 AM   #9
joshuasv

Welcome from another nu-bee member, longtime reader! Just curious? Have you checked the pads up front? If they are still stock you may benefit from changing them to HH pads from DP or EBC. Seems as tho that would give you better feel and or stopping power. Somewhat more so than changing the hoses. Maybe someone that knows more than me will chime in soon! Oh and probably tell you to sort the front suspension. Cheers!
Old 17-05-07, 06:55 AM   #10
Tiger 55

Ahoy!

I know nothing about brakes, I've got a Northwind for that sort of thing...