SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-05-07, 07:45 PM   #1
RingDing

Default Shock dilemma - opinions please

I'm after an after market shock for my K3 naked. I've ruled out GSXR shocks etc and have 'narrowed' the possibilties down to the following.

Hagon £255
Nitron £346
Hyperpro £335 (From Straightline Racing)
Ohlins £400

All are the manufacturers entry level shock. Hagon and Nitron have one damping adjuster that 'balances' rebound and compression. Hyperpro and Ohlins have a sole rebound adjuster.

I've done some searches on here and read Hagon shocks being called 'MOT replacement' shocks on here before but I've also read good things about them. I've not found any real opinions one way or the other concerning Nitron and Hyperpro. Ohlins is obviously quality kit.

The bikes not used for the track but I want something that has a good damping action as a lot of my local twisties are quite bumpy. Good high speed copmression damping would be useful!

Anyone got any opinions on the relative performance of the 'balanced' rebound and compression adjustment compared with a sole rebound adjustment? Or any general comments on any of the shocks.

Obviously I'd like to spend as little as possible but I also ride my bike every day and like to enjoy my riding. So I want something that will suit some reasonably rapid road use.

Thanks in advance!

Edit to change Hyperpro price to £352...doh!

3x Honda C110 - phut-phut-phut
KTM Duke 690 - brum-braaaaaaa!!!!!
BSA C25 - brum-braa-braa
RD350LC Ring-ding-phut-clatter-££££££

Last edited by RingDing; 20-05-07 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Update Nitron price to include VAT
RingDing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-07, 07:53 PM   #2
Blue_SV650S

Default Re: Shock dilemma - opinions please

Unless you have a good grasp of what bits do what and can diagnose what the bike is doing and relate that to adjustments, having lots of adjustment is at best going to be confusing, possibly dangerous if you make a right hash of it, but more likely just never going to get used or be pooly adjusted making the ride worse than an unajustable shock ...

I'd just stick with the cheapest myself ... any shock is better than a stock shock ..
Old 14-05-07, 08:18 PM   #3
RingDing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S View Post
Unless you have a good grasp of what bits do what and can diagnose what the bike is doing and relate that to adjustments, having lots of adjustment is at best going to be confusing,
Hence why I'm going for the entry level, one damping adjustment shocks. I know what I'm doing with that.

Maybe i should have phrased my question better. What is the difference in damping performance between rebound only and a balanced rebound/compression? Are the cheaper shocks offering a balanced adjustment to compensate for something else seeing as how the others offer only rebound?

BSA C25 - brum-braa-braa
Old 14-05-07, 09:38 PM   #4
Robw#70

The Hyperpro is best VFM out of those, Hagon is just an MOT shock, no better than std, Nitron are well made and well designed, but not quite as good as the Hyperpro (which will also weather better).

Compression adjustment has an effect on rebound and vice versa as you are restricting the oil flow in one direction or another and in both cases it has to return, so more compression = less rebound, its just on one screw instead of two, only prob is you cant change the difference between the two.

Last edited by Robw#70; 14-05-07 at 09:42 PM.
Old 14-05-07, 09:57 PM   #5
RingDing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robw#70 View Post
The Hyperpro is best VFM out of those, Hagon is just an MOT shock, no better than std, Nitron are well made and well designed, but not quite as good as the Hyperpro (which will also weather better).

Compression adjustment has an effect on rebound and vice versa as you are restricting the oil flow in one direction or another and in both cases it has to return, so more compression = less rebound, its just on one screw instead of two, only prob is you cant change the difference between the two.
I hadn't thought of it like that. So, when it comes down to it, they all have the same level of adjustability.

It then becomes an issue of quality. Your point about longevity is a good one. I don't do astronomical miles, approx. 8000 per year is all my commute and free time allows, but I do ride all year round. Having something that is rebuildable is alos important to me, I'll keep the standard shock to use whilst my good one is being serviced.

Thanks.

BSA C25 - brum-braa-braa
Old 14-05-07, 10:41 PM   #6
Tim in Belgium

I believe the Hagon are rebuildable. Not sure about the others, but likely to be too.
Old 14-05-07, 11:05 PM   #7
sinbad

Why have you ruled out the GSXR shocks?
(Just curious because I'm looking at upgrading it too).
Old 15-05-07, 09:31 AM   #8
SV650Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad View Post
Why have you ruled out the GSXR shocks?
(Just curious because I'm looking at upgrading it too).

if you have the money to spend then getting a shock that is actually made, valved and correct for the bike is the best option. A GSXR shock is never going to be ideal as its made/valved etc for a bike that has a different linkage, swingarm length and weight bias and also speed.

Its actually a better option if you can stretch to the initial outlay to get an Ohlins or similar as when you come to sell the bike you can get good money back on the shock if sold seperate. Also these shocks are rebuildable.
Old 15-05-07, 07:13 PM   #9
Robw#70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim in Belgium View Post
I believe the Hagon are rebuildable. Not sure about the others, but likely to be too.
The others are also rebuildable, its just they're not sh*te
Old 15-05-07, 07:18 PM   #10
weazelz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650Racer View Post
Its actually a better option if you can stretch to the initial outlay to get an Ohlins or similar as when you come to sell the bike you can get good money back on the shock if sold seperate. Also these shocks are rebuildable.

Suzuki Dealer and SV tuning/OHLINS centre click below...........
not that you're biased or anything