SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Track Days Post up here about trackdays

Old 06-02-09, 11:41 AM   #11
Lozzo

Default Re: ACU Gold Helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paws View Post
Nope, when i worked in hg we often had to stick the gold stickers on helmets & had sheets of spare ones-you can also buy the stickers off ebay
I've got about 50 of the double bordered stickers here if anyone needs one.
Old 06-02-09, 11:42 AM   #12
Lozzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester666 View Post
Here's an example...

The new Shark Evoline is the first flip front lid that is fully homoglated for both full face and open face. However you would not be allowed to wear it on a track even though it is 'gold' rated. The whole sticker thing is a complete joke.
I don't know why Shark are claiming that, Nitro's F347 was tested as both full and open face about 4 years ago. I've done a trackday with one too.
Old 06-02-09, 11:44 AM   #13
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3nny View Post
LOL, surely if you can buy the stickers from ebay it makes a mockery of the whole thing. I could buy a sticker and put it on a saucepan and strap that to my head
It's a mockery anyway I bought a helmet for £20 and it's acu approved whereas my non acu bmw helmet was much better made (and saved my life).
Old 06-02-09, 12:19 PM   #14
Jester666

From Fife Bikers;

Reading the motorcycle news this week found an interesting article about ACU approved stickers on helmets.

Basicly saying that pretty much anyone can buy these stickers now and put them onto a helmet.

Thanks to MCN for the story, in the article they say that these stickers which are suppost to represent the best in the safety standards of helmets were able to be purchased by there reporter possing as an importer for a new cheap helmet being imported into the UK market from China. With nothing more than a photo of the hemlet suppost to be imported they managed to arrange the purchase of 30,000 stickers (which they did not buy in the end ) at a price of 33p plus VAT. and the carriage charge.

On speaking to their technical team regarding testing for these new helmets, they were told that as long as the helmet had no protruding parts that are likely to cause damage as the helmet is sliding along a road then it would pass inspection, if they sent in a photo to show the complete helmet they would be able to send out the stickers there and then.

Also it was noted that many people appear to be selling vast numbers of these stickers at online auctions for much more than they can be purchased from the ACU.

Something to be wary of next time you spend £30 on a helmet people.
Old 06-02-09, 12:46 PM   #15
Dangerous Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by madness View Post
Surely all helmet stickers are attached in the factory by the manufacturer.
Some import helmets don't come with these stickers fitted, and HG are known for selling import helmets too.

The helmets are randomly tested, the ones without the sticker have passed the same tests as the ones with the stickers.
Old 06-02-09, 01:21 PM   #16
rigor

The ACU sticker doesn't represent any extra "testing" of helmets. It is based on the Relevant BS / EU / Snell testing, plus an inspection. So, as long as the helmet conforms to ECE 22-05, and passes a visual inspection, then it will be given a sticker.
Old 06-02-09, 03:51 PM   #17
L3nny
Mega Poster

So basically it's a complete waste of time then?

What is the reason track day companies insit you wear one then?
Old 06-02-09, 03:57 PM   #18
rigor

Insurance I'd guess.