SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-02-10, 10:48 PM   #41
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default Re: Regulator chat thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
I don't trust diode test of Reg-Rec. I've had a couple check out tip-top and be completely knackered.
The diode checks can be useful if you have a current leak that's traced back to the reg-rec, but only for that purpose, the diodes make up the rectifier, not the regulator.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-10, 10:52 PM   #42
5hort5

Here's a question, working on the assumption I get my hand s on one tomorrow, the yellow wires, are they just the three phases of AC then? if so does it matter which way you wire them up? Also on the off chance its has two reds and two black wires do I just solder them together into one connector?
5hort5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-10, 10:56 PM   #43
beabert

Yellow ones anyway round, Yes to the other question.

£35 is a good price. 50-60 is normal, mine came to just under £35 with postage, try get one thats done little milage.

Last edited by beabert; 04-02-10 at 10:57 PM.
Old 04-02-10, 10:58 PM   #44
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5hort5 View Post
the yellow wires, are they just the three phases of AC then? Yes

if so does it matter which way you wire them up? No

Also on the off chance its has two reds and two black wires do I just solder them together into one connector? Yes
IMO it is better to put the red and black direct to battery with thick wire, ring terminals and an inline 20A fuse. But it will probably be fine feeding into stock wiring
Old 04-02-10, 11:00 PM   #45
beabert

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
IMO it is better to put the red and black direct to battery with thick wire, ring terminals and an inline 20A fuse. But it will probably be fine feeding into stock wiring
Exactly what im doing, i might run my own wires from alternator too, ill see how i feel.
Old 04-02-10, 11:01 PM   #46
5hort5

Quote:
Originally Posted by beabert View Post
Yellow ones anyway round, Yes to the other question.

£35 is a good price. 50-60 is normal, mine came to just under £35 with postage, try get one thats done little milage.
Not sure about the mileage and zero postage so I'll have that and see how it goes, I hope you are right about these FH014's lol - I should have the little so and so connected by the end of tomorrow if all goes well and then I can turn my attention to the troublesome idle and carbs on the weekend (fingers crossed).

Fancy a carb party at mine Neeja, tools, coffee, spare carbs for parts if needed
Old 04-02-10, 11:02 PM   #47
5hort5

Quote:
Originally Posted by beabert View Post
Exactly what im doing.
ok, yer cool, can do that, 20 amp though, I read on that twin site it need to be a 30 or is that for the bigger twins? Do maplins do the holders for em ???? - off to google
Old 04-02-10, 11:03 PM   #48
beabert

Lol @ carb party.
Old 04-02-10, 11:04 PM   #49
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

An assumption on my part that if the electrics can draw no more than that from the battery (main fuse), they will not draw more than that from the charging circuit.

Feel free to correct me, but also I cannot see why a 30A fuse would not be perfectly safe also to protect against fire if a wire was worn through.
Old 04-02-10, 11:07 PM   #50
beabert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5hort5 View Post
ok, yer cool, can do that, 20 amp though, I read on that twin site it need to be a 30 or is that for the bigger twins? Do maplins do the holders for em ???? - off to google
I was going with 30amp too. The fh014 rectifier can put of 50amp tops ( i think), just make sure the wiring is rated above the fuse for obvious reasons lol.

The maximum drawn of the bike is way lower than 50, under 20 even. Depends what other crap you have plugged in i suppose.

Last edited by beabert; 04-02-10 at 11:09 PM.