SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-08-10, 08:58 AM   #1
Maverick9999

Default Bike jumping out of gear (normal?)

Hi there,

I've had two strange problems which I think are related to either my gear changing style or an issue with the bike. The first instance was about a month ago when I was pulling away from a side street and I must not have tapped the gear lever hard enough, it went into second but when I started winding the throttle up to accelerate it fell out of the gear into neutral and the revs climbed. I clicked it into second and all was well again.

I have been fine since then, thinking it was just me not clicking up hard enough. However, today, I was pulling away from a set of lights, I must have change to 3rd and then slowed for a traffic camera (40mph), when I'd passed it and started winding the throttle up the engine stuttered a little bit and I felt a loss of power and the revs climbed close to the rev limiter. Scared me a bit (as I've got a fear of the gearbox locking up one day and throwing me off), so I pulled the clutch in case the engine ground to a halt. I eased up on the throttle to bring the revs down and I shifted down a gear (no crunch). The gear engaged and everything was back to normal.

I wanted to know what you guys thought of the problem, whether it's me or something sinister with the bike. Obviously would be happier if it's me as it sounds like it's gonna cost me to put it right if it's the bike.

I'm new (1 year) to big bikes and the SV650S (K4) so feel free to tell me that I've just been a muppet and things like this happen all the time if you're not paying attention to gear changes.

Last edited by Maverick9999; 03-08-10 at 09:06 AM.
Old 03-08-10, 09:18 AM   #2
Joeskeppi

Default Re: Bike jumping out of gear (normal?)

When I first got my bike, I experienced your first example (2nd slipping back to neutral) twice, wasn't booting it up hard enough.

2nd one sounds worrying though.
Old 03-08-10, 09:24 AM   #3
bengrrr

Ive had both of these and the slipping into neutral happens all the time. My boss has had a few SVs over the years and said to me when i first experienced it that it was "just the clunky SV gearbox". Like yourself though im not to into the idea of being thrown off!
Old 03-08-10, 09:26 AM   #4
SUPERSTARDJ01

I had the same issue with my ZX6 but the issue went mostly with a good service and oil change.
Old 03-08-10, 09:33 AM   #5
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

It sometimes happens to me going in to 5th if I'm a bit lazy with the gear lever. Have you tried adjusting the gear lever to the perfect height? Makes a big difference
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-10, 09:53 AM   #6
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Check a couple of basic maintenance issues------Oil level ok/need changing?
Chain lubed and adjusted?
Gear linkage.Is it correct and lubed?Pay particular attention to the gear lever where it pivots on the footrest.Lack of lube here causes poor shift action.
Old 03-08-10, 12:24 PM   #7
Maverick9999

I'll have a check. The bike's just had a major service and it's MOT last month so I presumed things should be in order.

I don't really know how to adjust the height of the gear lever will have a google round/look at the haynes manual.
Old 03-08-10, 12:32 PM   #8
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

You adjust the gear lever by loosening the two nuts on the rod (one is reverse thread) then turn the rod to lift the lever up or down. There's a pic in the haynes in section 6.4
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-10, 12:37 PM   #9
Maverick9999

K. Will have a look. Just have that feeling in my gut now everytime I shift up whether the bike's gonna doing it again (indicating there's a severe problem with it ).
Old 03-08-10, 12:45 PM   #10
SUPERSTARDJ01

what year is it? how many miles? and does it have a warrenty?