SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-07-09, 07:03 PM   #1
Crunchy

Default sv running problem? any ideas

Right guys, i have a '99 SV650s import. Have had a reccurring intermittent starting problem which i have just had sorted. Turned out to be the switch and relay. As a result the bike has not been run for a few months, other than a test run on the ride home from the garage which is only 10 miles.
That was two weeks ago. I have just gone to take it out and it started fine but it wont let me accelerate and cuts out before i can get the revs above 1000rpm. I left it running idle for 20 min but still no joy,it starts fine but wont run. There is also an occassional popping fom the exhaust.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Ps. my mechanical knowledge is poor to say the least..........
Old 30-07-09, 07:06 PM   #2
sweepdoggydog

Default Re: sv running problem? any ideas

Check out the carbs seeif they're set up correctly
Old 30-07-09, 08:02 PM   #3
Crunchy

cheers, looks like another trip to the garage. also noticed an occassional split second drop in power on previous outings. Does that sound like it could be due to the same problem?
Old 30-07-09, 08:13 PM   #4
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

So any time you open the throttle, it dies? That sounds like water in the juice.
Old 30-07-09, 10:20 PM   #5
Crunchy

ta mate. if it is water whats my options? i did initially think petrol was running low/dirty so have topped it up.
Old 31-07-09, 07:21 AM   #6
Spanner Man
Mega Poster

Good morning all.

Ditto Yorkies advice.

To drain the float bowl of the carburettors you'll need a long 5mm ball ended allen key & a little torch, as the drain screw on the front cylinder is a pain to see (& get at). Do this from the right hand side of the bike.

Try draining the carbs & restart your engine, (this may take a little while as the carbs will be empty). & see how it goes.

It would be worth checking inside the tank for water, let the bike settle & have a peek inside the tank with a torch. Water will appear as a 'jellyfish' lurking at the bottom.

Cheers.

P.S. Don't smoke when playing with petrol. & if you don't smoke, don't take it up now!
Old 31-07-09, 04:27 PM   #7
Springbokki

Just out of interest, when me and a friend were trying to get his old honda cg125 running again (similar problems in power and acceleration) we simply found the carb was not sealed properly and the engine was choking itself on too much air.

Well aware smaller engine, and parts etc, but principle the same.

Just a thought...