SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-09-09, 09:28 PM   #1
ak_uk

Unhappy Is this my fault?

A car pulled out in front of me today as I was filtering. I went over the handle bars but managed to escape with only sore limbs and no damage to my gear! The bike is a different matter and I need to know if I'm at all to blame. Unfortunately most of the damage is to the modified bits so aren't covered by the insurance, even though they are all declared.

Traffic was queuing and the driver (red line) was flashed to go by the car to his right. He looked left and as it was clear and pulled out (his words to me). I was filtering slowly (black line) and then he appeared in front of me and I just hit him and ended up in the road! If I'm honest, I wish I was a little more injured and the bike was OK - it landed can side down unfortunately.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ouch.JPG (48.3 KB, 140 views)
Old 12-09-09, 09:31 PM   #2
fastdruid
Mega Poster

Default Re: Is this my fault?

Still his responsibility to check it's clear and give way.

Druid
Old 12-09-09, 09:39 PM   #3
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

http://www.motorbikestoday.com/news/...tering_law.htm

Unless you were filtering past a van or other vehicle that blocked your view he should bear the blame
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-09, 09:41 PM   #4
petevtwin650

Certainly to an extent. I'd have been further over to the right to maximize my vision and expect a car to pull out from the junction.

The car driver that pulled out should also have been anticipating a filtering vehicle, and the vehicle that let him out should have tried to ensure it was safe for the car to proceed.

But that's in a perfect world

Best of luck with your insurance claim and glad you're ok.
Old 13-09-09, 01:26 AM   #5
northwind
Mega Poster

The fact that you were in the chevrons is going to count against you I expect...
"130

Areas of white diagonal stripes or chevrons painted on the road. These are to separate traffic lanes or to protect traffic turning right.
  • if the area is bordered by a broken white line, you should not enter the area unless it is necessary and you can see that it is safe to do so"
Also
"167

DO NOT overtake where you might come into conflict with other road users. For example
  • approaching or at a road junction on either side of the road"
If you were in those chevrons as the diagram shows, then you were committing an offence at the time of the accident, which spices things up. It's completely true that he shouldn't have pulled out, but equally you shouldn't have been there to be hit (and I don't think you can reasonably expect other road users to anticipate an illegally filtering bike tbh) But it's possibly going to be pretty complicated- it's not a simple filtering case. Were the police called to the scene? And have you admitted to being in the chevrons? (Can you reasonably claim otherwise- did any witnesses state that you were in the chevrons?) Not really sure what the legal position will be, I think you should possibly be prepared for trouble though.

From a non-legal point of view, no nice way to say it but I think you're basically responsible for this one, the driver screwed up of course but in a more understandable way, but you created the situation. And not only that but it seems like you were either going too fast, or your obs or foreplanning weren't up to the job- since you were filtering past a junction you should have been prepared for someone pulling out, and you should have been able to stop in time.

Not passing judgement or anything, I've done something pretty similiar myself though it worked out better, and no doubt I might do it again! Though I hope not. These things do happen. I hope you get it all sorted out!
But we're oh so easily swayed"

Last edited by northwind; 13-09-09 at 01:29 AM.
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-09, 02:59 AM   #6
BanditPat

[QUOTE=northwind;2033359
If you were in those chevrons as the diagram shows, then you were committing an offence at the time of the accident, which spices things up. It's completely true that he shouldn't have pulled out, but equally you shouldn't have been there to be hit (and I don't think you can reasonably expect other road users to anticipate an illegally filtering bike tbh) But it's possibly going to be pretty complicated- it's not a simple filtering case. Were the police called to the scene? And have you admitted to being in the chevrons? (Can you reasonably claim otherwise- did any witnesses state that you were in the chevrons?) Not really sure what the legal position will be, I think you should possibly be prepared for trouble though.

[/QUOTE]

Its only illegal to enter a chervroned piece of carriageway if there is a solid line separating the marked area from the main carriage way if he crossed a dashed white line then he was legal to do so.
Old 13-09-09, 08:57 AM   #7
ranathari

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditPat View Post
Its only illegal to enter a chervroned piece of carriageway if there is a solid line separating the marked area from the main carriage way if he crossed a dashed white line then he was legal to do so.
It's only legal to enter chevrons with dashed lines when it's necessary and you can see it's safe to do, like the relevant section that Northwind posted (did you even read it?)

It's obvious it's a junction there so you can argue it's not safe to enter the chevrons because you can anticipate traffic pulling out from the minor road into the middle of the road for better visibility before pulling out all the way. Likewise, you can't ever argue that it's necessary to filter.
Old 13-09-09, 09:51 AM   #8
Durbs

Bit of a tough one that looking at the photo. Whilst the driver of course must accept part of the blame for pulling out, i can see from the piccy that it would be very difficult indeed for him to see a bike filtering on the other side of that queue. If i'm honest, I think i'd have hit you too in those circumstances.

Difficult because if someone flashes you out, you kind of want to repay the favour by getting out of their way asap. So really, the guy who flashed him out is part of the cause as he effectively told the guy 'ok to go'.

You'll certainly get some % of the decision though i think as any road user has a duty to observe and hitting someone is a failure of this.
Old 13-09-09, 10:01 AM   #9
Durbs

You can also argue that in being flashed out, he was not using observation but instead responding to instruction of another motorist which is a no-no.
Old 13-09-09, 10:04 AM   #10
tigersaw
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_uk View Post
If I'm honest, I wish I was a little more injured and the bike was OK - it landed can side down unfortunately.
Thats just silly
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote