SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 20-10-10, 10:21 PM   #1
monkey

Default Anyone else noticed how bad at driving some driving instructors are?

This is a serious question. When I see driving instructors without a pupil I reckon that at least half of them are absolutely terrible drivers. I don't mean because they're not speeding or doing little cheeky things a lot of regular drivers do, but proper rubbish driving.

Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me?
Old 20-10-10, 10:22 PM   #2
beabert

Default Re: Anyone else noticed how bad at driving some driving instructors are?

They are just in normal mode, like the rest of us.
Old 20-10-10, 10:50 PM   #3
hongman

Default Re: Anyone else noticed how bad at driving some driving instructors are?

I was driving behind an AA Learner car a few days ago, indicated right and then turned left on a mini roundabout!

Dude was along so I assume it was the instructor and not the pupil
Old 20-10-10, 11:37 PM   #4
metalhead19

Have seen some questionable stuff from driving instructors, but then again have also seen worse from the people they are meant to have taught, so shouldnt really expect too much.
Old 21-10-10, 01:03 AM   #5
thulfi

How advanced would you expect them to be anyway? Their job is to help people pass a test which is relatively straightforward and doesn't require the hughest amount of driving skill.

I wouldn't trust one anyway. I'm teaching my kid how to drive. My dad taught me, and I passed first time. 3 minors for speeding almost got me though
Old 21-10-10, 07:46 AM   #6
Viney
Mega Poster

My mates a driving instuctor and hes an awful driver, so this confirms your theory.

However, the blok who taught me to drive was a family friend. He was mental. After i passed, i got in the car and he said, this is how not to drive, then promptly wheel spun the length of the road in the little nissan sunny! Nutter!!
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-10, 07:52 AM   #7
collis

My mum is a driving instructor, she's actually very good, partialy tought me to drive as well (at the time my driving instructor was only for manouvers and the test routes).
Personally, if you find an instructor that is extreemly bad on their own call the driving school and report them. they only like good drivers for their schools especailly the AA/BSM and anyone bad will get either re-trained or removed.
Old 21-10-10, 07:52 AM   #8
simesb

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
This is a serious question. When I see driving instructors without a pupil I reckon that at least half of them are absolutely terrible drivers. I don't mean because they're not speeding or doing little cheeky things a lot of regular drivers do, but proper rubbish driving.
Seen some fairly ropey stuff from traffic police too (not when pursuing, but when cruising up the M-way)
Old 21-10-10, 07:53 AM   #9
Bluepete
Mega Poster

I once gave a driving instructor a ticket - 46mph in a 30mph zone, passing a school. He was in a Peugeot 206cc, roof down and a pretty blonde in the passenger seat.

His excuse?

"I was showing a new pupil what the car was like!"

She was on her phone by then, and a few minutes later, her Dad arrived and off they went with Dad letting the instructor know in no uncertain terms that he had lost a customer!

Pete
Bluepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-10, 07:56 AM   #10
Viney
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepete View Post
I once gave a driving instructor a ticket - 46mph in a 30mph zone, passing a school. He was in a Peugeot 206cc, roof down and a pretty blonde in the passenger seat.

His excuse?

"I was showing a new pupil what the car was like!"

She was on her phone by then, and a few minutes later, her Dad arrived and off they went with Dad letting the instructor know in no uncertain terms that he had lost a customer!

Pete
Isn't that punishable by death, or worse?
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote