SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-03-05, 10:08 AM   #1
greeno76

Default Waking up the Neighbours!

Started up the SV [covered in snow - forgot to put the cover last night ] this morning and woke up the whole street with what sounded like a gun fight coming from my Scorpion can!
Flipping heck. Is that normal? It got somewhat better when the engine warmed up.

Anyone have anything similar this morning. I'm looking for re-assurance here !!

J
Old 04-03-05, 10:10 AM   #2
Iansv

not this morning but had it previously...best was in the underground car park at work.....

Slight echo increased volume significantly, and one person jumped about 3ft
Old 04-03-05, 10:18 AM   #3
Mr Toad

poss caused by excess moisture

Did you set off any car alarms
Old 04-03-05, 10:36 AM   #4
greeno76

A ha! Ok. That makes sense.

No car alarms nearby, sadly. I was attempting (failing) to keep the noise down in sleepy W.Hampstead - being a good neighbour and all that!
Old 04-03-05, 10:51 AM   #5
Captain Nemo

i find my neighbours appreciate the sweet tone at 7.30 on a morning , and as such i start my bike between the garage and the house which forms a nice acoustic chamber,
i then go in the house and have a cup of tea and some frosties,
many is the morning that my neighbours actually come ourt of their houses to admire my bike as i ride off to work, i can usually see them in my mirrors waving a cheery farewell.

Old 04-03-05, 10:58 AM   #6
greeno76

"Waving", as in raised arm ALL fingers extended and face like this -> ?

Mr Toad, is this excess moisture in the cylinders or in the exhaust (or both?) Presumably actually using my cover may have helped....?

J
Old 04-03-05, 11:07 AM   #7
Viney
Mega Poster

My nighbours love my bike, they really do

One morning, i awoke, got into my usual routine. When ready went out to the bike. Looking up and down the road, thought to myself, theres a lot of cars and vans then normal this time of the morning. Anyway, fired up the bike let it warm up for a minute or so, killed the choke and made my way to work.

Next day, Gary the laocl builder came down (Hes a big lad!!) I thought oh here we go. He said, thanks for waking him up? Confused i asked why. He said that there had been a power cut that evening and was wondering why i was going to work at 5am in the morning as opposed to 730 i normaly go. My bike woke him and the susequent peeps from thier slumber, all of which where late for work

So i do a public service me, and thank god for batery back up on alarm clocks
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-05, 12:26 PM   #8
Mr Toad

moisture is just a guess

might have got snow sucked into the air filter, which may have been sucked into the carbs

wouldn't have thought it was in the exhaust as it wouldn't have got hot enough

fingers crossed it doesn't do it again
Old 04-03-05, 12:52 PM   #9
will

my neighbours really enjoy it too and were totally thrilled at 07:30 last sunday morning when mr toad popped round. then they got it all again about 5 minutes later, just as they were nodding off again, but this time in stereo.
Old 04-03-05, 01:28 PM   #10
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

If you fire up your bike from cold in marginal conditions, it's not unusual to get either a partial, or sometimes a complete misfire, the resulting unburnt fuel rich gas gets shoved into the pipe on the exhaust stroke, next charge goes into the cylinder, fires, and then extremely hot gas gets let into the pipe where aforesaid eminently burnable gas lies waiting to p*ss your neighbours off, voila , big bang in the pipe, enjoy.

Possible causes:

Plugs need a clean/change.
Battery voltage low: Poor quality and duration sparks.
Old or contaminated fuel.
Incorrect choke setting.
Itr's bloody cold out.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote