SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-04-06, 10:32 AM   #1
baggies666

Default batteries for sv650s 2002

Hi

I had a quick look through topics but could not find what I wanted, my battery seems to be finished and wanted to get a new one. I don't really know the difference between gels,dry etc and wanted to get a new battery can someone help with model numbers and prices etc, I suppose ebay uk is the cheapest.

Also been reading about people checking its charging fine what's this item called prob get one from maplins.

Thanks
Old 23-04-06, 11:02 AM   #2
Blue_SV650S

YT12A-BS is the standard battery for a curvy. Unless you have good reson, get one of them

Busters are normally good on price:-
http://www.busters-accessories.co.uk/ £35
Old 23-04-06, 11:04 AM   #3
timwilky
Mega Poster

OK, best place I found for a decent known make battery was :- Thefastone

Only took 2 days for mine to arrive. Make sure you follow the instructions and give plent of time after you have poured in the acid before sealing. Don't worry it is a very simple/safe process filling the acid bottles are sealed and the seal is only broken when the bottles are properly inserted into the battery.

You can get a multimeter from most places, you need to check the voltage across the battery. who should see around the 12v when the batery is on the bike without it running, use a DC scale normally the 0-20V. Fon't bother with a freshly charged battery. leave it a while after charging. This is really just to check your battry is holding charge.

Then with the engine running turn the lights on and measure the voltage at 5000 rpm. You should see about 13.5V. Anything over 15V and you have trouble or lower than 13.

Should trouble be diagnosed. You then need to check your RR input. For this you need to remove the rear plastic on the RHS on the bike. Then disconnect the plug with 3 yellow cables connected to the RR. With the ke running at the 5000 revs and the multimeter now set onto a 0-100v ac (Please note the ac) scale, measure the voltage accross all three cables, treat them as three pairs so if the cable are named a,b,c then you need to measure the voltage accross a-b,b-c,a-c.

You should see about 70-80V on all 3 pairs. if less then it looks like the altenator is u/s. otherwise it points to the RR.

RRs are a known weakness on the SV. and expensive new. In my case I followed the advise of the good Dr Squid and invested in a Honda one from a breaker.
Old 23-04-06, 12:21 PM   #4
baggies666

Thanks I shall have a look so far I have seen, sprint, Yusha or something like that then even MF CT12 so that was all that's confusing me. I am going to maplins to get my metre and test the old battery but it does not seem to last anytime with the alarm running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S
YT12A-BS is the standard battery for a curvy. Unless you have good reson, get one of them

Busters are normally good on price:-
http://www.busters-accessories.co.uk/ £35
Old 23-04-06, 04:09 PM   #5
Blue_SV650S

I suggest you measure the voltage with the ignition off and with the ignition and lights on. If the battery falls to say 10v quickly then it needs replacing, regardless of the standing voltage. Standaing voltage is a good paraliminary check, but if the battery can’t hold it chage under load, that is the real test!!

Yuasa are generally considered the best on the market and what most bike are fitted with from new. That said, I have used a chepo ‘sprint’ battery with no problems.
Old 27-04-06, 06:47 PM   #6
baggies666

I have at last done the tests on the battery, fully charged it and with lights on etc it read 12.9, on 5000 revs it was around 14.4 and stand still with lights on fell to 11 quickly. I suppose as you says if it falls quicky to 10 it needs replacing so mine prob done for. I was going to get a good trickle charger that you can leave on all the time, I was going to opt for the oxford make as its a good price and they are a good name any other ideas

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S
I suggest you measure the voltage with the ignition off and with the ignition and lights on. If the battery falls to say 10v quickly then it needs replacing, regardless of the standing voltage. Standaing voltage is a good paraliminary check, but if the battery can’t hold it chage under load, that is the real test!!

Yuasa are generally considered the best on the market and what most bike are fitted with from new. That said, I have used a chepo ‘sprint’ battery with no problems.
Old 27-04-06, 08:00 PM   #7
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Ive had an Optimate for six years.Can't fault it,and I think you can get em for about £30 if you shop around.