SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-04-11, 09:35 PM   #21
Reeder

Default Re: Test ride challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialone View Post
Im not liking the new blade, the paintwork makes it look fugly
That is some pretty vile paint I must admit.
Old 19-04-11, 11:47 PM   #22
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3nny View Post
new 675... The engine was superb, there is as much mid range grunt as my Blade which I loved and it means you don't have to change gear as often as on some other 600s and lazy top gear overtakes are possible
Quote:
GSXR 600... The engine was lacking in mid-range compared to the 675 and my Blade
Quote:
[B]Test 3 - 2010 Honda CBR 600RR.... and the midrange power was lacking. I had to keep it in second and third gear the whole time
I've been trying to tell folk on this forum for years exactly what you have discovered about these engines, but I've given up because the 600 IL4 owners just won't accept any criticism of their precious bikes and insist they are lightening quick right from tickover.

What's good to see about your comments is that you have ridden the bikes back to back, and you are accustomed to an accomplished respected litre IL4, not an SV650 (!), and you have reached exactly the same conclusions, and crucially weren't disappointed by the 675 engine, proving it's not simply because you are used to riding a litre bike.

As you have noted with the 675, mid size triples and twins have the ability to feel like a much bigger bike lower in the rev range, whereas the 600 IL4's cannot. With an IL4 there is absolutely no substitute for cubic capacity! If you are addicted to a 600 IL4, then it's a different attribute that you are getting or seeking from the bike.

Last edited by -Ralph-; 19-04-11 at 11:58 PM.
Old 20-04-11, 10:48 AM   #23
Roberrrrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeder View Post
That is some pretty vile paint I must admit.
I like it...
Old 20-04-11, 10:51 AM   #24
Reeder

Your avatar proves you have bad taste.

Old 20-04-11, 10:54 AM   #25
Roberrrrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeder View Post
Your avatar proves you have bad taste.

And I used to think you were alright n'all.

Anywho, how do folk go about getting all these test rides?
Old 20-04-11, 12:38 PM   #26
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberrrrt View Post
And I used to think you were alright n'all.

Anywho, how do folk go about getting all these test rides?
Just ask!!! I got offered a test ride on anything I wanted out of Two Wheels this morning while they did the 500 mile service on the Street R. Said no but this baby did bring back memories don't need a test ride on it though.

BTW that CBR600 is WRONG!!! So WRONG!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00333.jpg (127.3 KB, 38 views)

sv650s (gone) gsx-r600 (gone) Street R675 (now living in Inbhir Nis )
carelesschucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-11, 08:38 AM   #27
L3nny
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
Stuff
Don't get me wrong the IL4 600s are more than quick enough even low down in the range especially compared to the SV but on a 600 there is a big step up in power when you hit 7000 revs, on a 900 IL4 the power is more linear and starts earlier on.
Old 21-04-11, 09:17 AM   #28
-Ralph-

Quote:
Don't get me wrong the IL4 600s are more than quick enough even low down in the range especially compared to the SV
Of course, I'm not saying they are slow, any bike over 500cc will give a 200bhp hot hatch a run for it's money in a straight line.

Quote:
on a 900 IL4 the power is more linear and starts earlier on.
I'm just highlighting that you found the 675 triple comparable to the 900 IL4, but by comparison (albeit a comparison with a very powerful bike), the 600 IL4's were in your own words, "lacking".

The 600 class exists as a result of racing. It never used to exist, all the midsize bikes were 750's. I'm a lazy rider, and I only ride on the road not the track, and I don't treat the road like it is a track, so personally for me I'd never buy one.

IMO there is a massive gap in the Japanese sportsbike market for those who ride on the roads, think a litre bike is OTT, but find a 600 lacking.

I agree that they are lacking, and many of the manufacturers agree too, hence Triumph going from 600 IL4, to 650, to 675 triple, Kawasaki made a 636, and Suzuki refused to drop the GSXR750 and have increased all their IL4 street bikes to 650's, all because they wanted, in their own words to "offer more usability for the road".

I've had this debate on here many times though, and understandably sticking up for their own I suppose, lots of 600 IL4 owners won't accept that there is anything lacking about their bikes at all. Understandable, but that's not objectivity is it?

Only Suzuki fill that gap, and they sell loads of GSXR750's, so why Yamaha, Kawasaki, and Honda don't offer the same choice puzzles me.

Lots of people buy 600's because they either find litre bikes OTT, or they can't afford the bike and the insurance, and they sell loads of 600's, but I reckon thats through lack of choice, and if all the manufacturers offered a 750, the 750's would soon outnumber the 600's

Last edited by -Ralph-; 21-04-11 at 09:20 AM.
Old 06-06-11, 09:46 PM   #29
dyzio
Mega Poster

How would you describe/compare the ride comfort/position on the 600rr vs the 675?
dyzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-11, 08:47 AM   #30
L3nny
Mega Poster

The 675 has the most extreme riding position of any bike I have ever ridden but the CBR isn't exactly a sofa. I only rode each bike for 30-40 mins so cant really comment on long term comfort.

There are a few other users on here who own these bikes and have toured Europe on them so they will be able to tell you more.