SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 11-08-11, 10:41 PM   #1
Ed

Default I love recycling day

..the kerbside collections... you can be such a goddamn nosey bugger and spy on your neighbours and see what sins they've been up to... what explains the several whisky and Stella Cidre bottles in my octogenarian neighbour's glass box?? It was overflowing... I gonna take the p1ss
Old 12-08-11, 06:43 AM   #2
timwilky
Mega Poster

Default Re: I love recycling day

No, it was him on the piss. And good luck to the old boy if he can still enjoy his pop.
Old 12-08-11, 06:57 AM   #3
kellyjo

MY neighbours must be so disappointed with my offerings - washing powder boxes, cat food tins and diet coke bottles!!!
Old 12-08-11, 07:12 AM   #4
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Thankfully (?) our council does not collect glass. The neighbours don't get to see the glass mountain we quietly take to the bottle bank every couple of weeks. I'm now on first name terms with all the guys at my local Laithwaites...

The funny thing for us on recycling day is watching people trying to walk down the road dodging all the boxes and wheelie bins. Most people never read the instructions when it was all kicked off "leave your bin and boxes at the edge of your property", interpreting this as 'abandon your bin and boxes somewhere on the pavement near your gaff so the lass with the pushchair up the road has to get on to the road to get by the things on her way to the park'. Oh, and when it's windy we end up with paper all over the place.
Old 12-08-11, 07:28 AM   #5
timwilky
Mega Poster

For us, they eventually listened and introduced a 3rd bin with an inner box. This 3rd bin is for recyclables and paper in the inner box. So no more paper being blown about.

Apart from my shred happy neighbour who empties his cuttings into the inner box and it all gets blown out when the dustbin man lifts it out of the bin.

So rubbish, compostable, reycleable, and the box the paper used to get blown out of is now for cardboard. I can see them replacing the new blue bin with 3 separate ones for glass, plastic, and cans.

But answer me this. Why does my wife insist on washing out jars/bottles, replacing the lids before dropping them in the bin?
Old 12-08-11, 07:49 AM   #6
kitkat

i also wash out jars and bottles before putting in recycling box, put the lids in the normal bin though
Old 12-08-11, 08:12 AM   #7
Quedos

We have to do it all ourselves and ake what every we want recycled to the tip. The joys of living in blocks of flats.

You are meant to wash tins and jars - easier for them (recyclers) but also more hygenic for you as they sit in the bin before collection.

i have a great collection of glass all the time as I take my neighbours down and it always looks like we're on the drink every night
Old 12-08-11, 08:44 AM   #8
Bluepete
Mega Poster

I enjoy putting odd bits into other peoples bins! Just to keep then on their toes...

Pete
Bluepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-11, 10:00 AM   #9
maviczap
Mega Poster

I love going to the tip, as I usually come back with something I saw someone else throwing away.

Best example was a kids go cart, nothing wrong with it, just covered in dust. Probably about £200's worth

Just makes you wonder what else is thrown away, in our disposable society

Because of public liabilty rules, perfectly good bicycles can't be taken away from the site unless you see it being thrown into the skip and speak to the owner and sort it out off site. Madness.

At least its sorted out better these days
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-11, 10:52 AM   #10
Dicky Ticker

Our house washes out the tins/bottles as well so that the bin does not smell and aparently it is a "blue job" to wash the bin out[love playing with a jet wash]