SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-10-10, 07:32 AM   #1
rob13

Default Inline 4s

What is it with them? You either love them or you don't. Granted I've only been on 5 il4s but everyone just felt bland. On the other hand every twin or triple I've been on has at least had character even if i didnt particularly like the bike
Old 12-10-10, 07:46 AM   #2
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default Re: Inline 4s

All the IL$'s I've ridden havent been bland, even the sheddy Bandit 600 I got give as a courtesy bike. The trick is to find where in the rev range the "Character" is.

The just need approaching with a different mindset, if you ride a 4 like a twin, its never going to be any fun. But then life would be boring if we all liked the same thing wouldnt it.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-10, 07:53 AM   #3
muffles

What do you mean by character? Any better way you can define it?

If I had to interpret that I'd say it was the acceleration (I guess...assuming you aren't talking about the sound, what else can the engine give). And yep, that's in a different place on an IL4 so....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
if you ride a 4 like a twin, its never going to be any fun.
...is right IMO. That nutty top end rush on an IL4 can be quite addictive!

By comparison, my last ride on a twin left me feeling bored and soul-less (it was a K7 SV650S, standard). Half of that was the fact it felt wheezy and gutless (but then I was riding it at 5k+ all the time, naughty naughty) and the other half was the fact it had a standard exhaust and so I couldn't even get a nice sound out of it...
Old 12-10-10, 08:10 AM   #4
STRAMASHER
Mega Poster

More difficult to ride and ride well than a "equivelent" 4.

Low frequency vibes (man)

Uncommon sound.

Instant punt.

I'm no IL4 hater, having owned 3 (400,600,1400) and 4 twins too. Its just for me, you know exactly what you are going to get from a four. From 400cc - Litre+. Impressive and easy but a little uninspiring.

Solution? Have more than one bike unless you are a serial changer.
STRAMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-10, 08:18 AM   #5
simesb

Quote:
Originally Posted by robchester View Post
On the other hand every twin or triple I've been on has at least had character even if i didnt particularly like the bike
If by character you mean exhaust note, then I guess most people will prefer the v-twin (on here at least ). Personally, I find the constant demand of the engine to rev it harder and harder more enticing than the lazy application of torque. But that doesn't mean that IL4s aren't perfectly tractable at low revs - just a different noise.
Old 12-10-10, 08:26 AM   #6
simesb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtyLady View Post
Hate IL4s
Because?
Old 12-10-10, 08:39 AM   #7
Tim in Belgium

I've liked 1s, twins and IL4s so far, all are good but different.
Old 12-10-10, 08:40 AM   #8
mikerj

I'm not a big fan of IL4's in general, they just sound so bland unless you are screwing the bits of them. Odd numbers of cylinders sound the best, give me a triple or a 5 cylinder(for a car) engine any day, closely followed by a V twin.
mikerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-10, 08:43 AM   #9
simesb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtyLady View Post
Don't know just do
Hate is a fairly strong word. I could understand it if you didn't like the exhaust noise, or if you just prefer riding at lower revs, but to hate something for no reason is fairly dumb.
Old 12-10-10, 08:50 AM   #10
Reeder

I actually prefer the noise of an IL4