SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-08-19, 09:47 PM   #21
Talking Heads

Default Re: First world problems and bike dilemas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_SVS View Post
Strongly disagree
Fairy nuff
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-19, 06:04 AM   #22
Seeker
Mega Poster

have we got a fairing for you...
https://burtonbikebits.net/images/!c...1E1B@David.jpg

Alternate plan, visit local college and see if there's a class on aerodynamics and tell them about your problem and see if they'll take it on as research (or at least offer advice).

Here you go: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/aerodynamics-research/
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-19, 10:03 AM   #23
Talking Heads

See your trumpet and raise you a screaming orange paintjob.....
(best fairing ever?)

Old 04-08-19, 10:39 AM   #24
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

I do actually kind of like those old fairings... but only on old bikes. When I had my CB250rsd I was on the lookout for a Rickman fairing for it.

Maybe not on the Tracer though

From reading the endless posts about it on forums and FB etc I don't think there trully is a way to solve the front end turbulence. I think it's just built into the design that was created with the MT aesthetic in mind rather than function.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-19, 10:55 AM   #25
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

My main reason for thinking this through now is my insurance renewal coming up at the beginning of September. I'll either be reinsuring the Tracer and sticking with it for another year or trying something else instead.

But, I really can't work out what I'd try instead if I did sell / trade the Tracer at the end of the month.

I'd like to stay with a triple engine. Obvious options seem to be the naked MT09 version or the Street Triple.
I do find the MT09 feels a bit small for me in the naked version though and find the front end and position more upright than I like still. It does have that great engine though.
I tried Street Triples a while ago and found myself shoved forwards sliding down the seat and feeling cramped up pushed forwards against the tank. It is a bit lower on the bars though than the MT09. Someone mentioned a way of solving the sliding on the seat problem a while ago but I can't remember what it was?

The newer Striples have the two part seat and I've found those to be perfect for me, but they only come on the newer models and the latest 765, so well out of budget.

Neither have a fairing though. One bike I really really like the look of is the Daytona 675. But.. the clip-ons! I converted my SV because I couldn't live with the position and have got a feeling the Daytona would be similar. I have sat on one and found them roomier in reach and hip angle than an SV though and there are a few options for slightly raising the bars with Gilles bars or flipping the originals etc. Too much alteration and it starts to involve cable changes though.

I'd really like to still have ABS. Controversial I know.

Thinking at the moment of maybe getting something cheap to keep me going through winter and try out without too much investment. That would probably mean a Street Triple (as Daytonas and MT09s are still higher priced than old Striples) to keep me commuting and able to do so short to medium journeys ok still. Maybe even just as capable (or incapable) as the Tracer in the current 'naked' setup that I have with the short screen on longer journeys too?

I do love the look of the Daytona though. Possibly best to go with my heart a bit more on the next decision as I was very logical and practical in my thinking getting the Tracer.

Everything I think of seems to lack the practicality of the Tracer with top box fitted etc. But, I used to manage fine on the SV with tank bag and a couple of Kriega packs.
Old 04-08-19, 07:23 PM   #26
zsv650s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
My main reason for thinking this through now is my insurance renewal coming up at the beginning of September. I'll either be reinsuring the Tracer and sticking with it for another year or trying something else instead.

But, I really can't work out what I'd try instead if I did sell / trade the Tracer at the end of the month.

I'd like to stay with a triple engine. Obvious options seem to be the naked MT09 version or the Street Triple.
I do find the MT09 feels a bit small for me in the naked version though and find the front end and position more upright than I like still. It does have that great engine though.
I tried Street Triples a while ago and found myself shoved forwards sliding down the seat and feeling cramped up pushed forwards against the tank. It is a bit lower on the bars though than the MT09. Someone mentioned a way of solving the sliding on the seat problem a while ago but I can't remember what it was?

The newer Striples have the two part seat and I've found those to be perfect for me, but they only come on the newer models and the latest 765, so well out of budget.

Neither have a fairing though. One bike I really really like the look of is the Daytona 675. But.. the clip-ons! I converted my SV because I couldn't live with the position and have got a feeling the Daytona would be similar. I have sat on one and found them roomier in reach and hip angle than an SV though and there are a few options for slightly raising the bars with Gilles bars or flipping the originals etc. Too much alteration and it starts to involve cable changes though.

I'd really like to still have ABS. Controversial I know.

Thinking at the moment of maybe getting something cheap to keep me going through winter and try out without too much investment. That would probably mean a Street Triple (as Daytonas and MT09s are still higher priced than old Striples) to keep me commuting and able to do so short to medium journeys ok still. Maybe even just as capable (or incapable) as the Tracer in the current 'naked' setup that I have with the short screen on longer journeys too?

I do love the look of the Daytona though. Possibly best to go with my heart a bit more on the next decision as I was very logical and practical in my thinking getting the Tracer.

Everything I think of seems to lack the practicality of the Tracer with top box fitted etc. But, I used to manage fine on the SV with tank bag and a couple of Kriega packs.
Just go get a vfr and stop moaning
zsv650s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-19, 06:20 AM   #27
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
My main reason for thinking this through now is... to justify having 2 bikes
...fixed your quote for you Adam.

We're all friends here, you can tell us the truth.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-19, 06:35 AM   #28
DJ123
Mega Poster

Reading through your posts about what you need the bike to do, you will end up with a compromised bike. It'll either be too sporty to do the commute, or a bit dull when out for a fun ride.
Regarding the fuel economy Fuelly shows you are achieving the average for this bike http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/yamaha/mt-09_tracer so you are at least getting real world figures.

My advice would be to go ride a BMW F800ST or GT. A nice and smooth 800CC parallel twin, comfortable to ride, economical, plenty of practical luggage options and good wind protection too. Also lots of aftermarket options to adjust handlebars, footpegs and seats for adjusting the seating position if needed.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-19, 08:11 PM   #29
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
...fixed your quote for you Adam.

We're all friends here, you can tell us the truth.

I'd prefer 3! One fun sports bike, one ratty all weathers, nimble commuter and one proper tourer.

I think part of the issue is trying to find that holy grail of fun, practicaliity for commuting and ability to do longer distances in comfort.

VFR and BMW are interesting ideas I hadn't thought of but not sure...
Old 05-08-19, 09:40 PM   #30
Talking Heads

Quote:
I think part of the issue is trying to find that holy grail of fun, practicaliity for commuting and ability to do longer distances in comfort.
You need two bikes, an R3 for fun and a Burgman 400 for everything else.