SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 12-08-14, 07:10 PM   #1
Kenzie

Default Road tax and used cars-new rules

As you may know, in 2015 the tax disc will no longer be. As I understand it, it is now no transferable. What happens when you buy a used car now? Will you need to tax it before you take it away or does the seller tax it?
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-14, 07:19 PM   #2
goodgumbo

Default Re: Road tax and used cars-new rules

What is replacing the tax disc in 2015? A database that the police can check like in other countries?
Old 12-08-14, 07:21 PM   #3
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

I think they're not issuing tax discs after October this year
Old 12-08-14, 07:49 PM   #4
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzie View Post
As you may know, in 2015 the tax disc will no longer be. As I understand it, it is now no transferable. What happens when you buy a used car now? Will you need to tax it before you take it away or does the seller tax it?
Check the status of tax online prior to buying it (free to check on the .gov website) How will you now surrender car tax & get a refund???

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-14, 07:57 PM   #5
Bibio
Mega Poster

what they are after is continuous taxing via direct debit so they can increase tax just like they did with the petrol going from gal to ltr pricing.

to get a refund you will have to phone them up or send an email. the problem is when you sell a car and you have the tax via direct debit. the new owner will have to tax and insure the vehicle there and then.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-14, 07:58 PM   #6
Stephen McG

I suspect that the tax disk will transfer with the vehicle.
Only the person who bought the disk can claim a refund of unused time.
SMcG
Old 12-08-14, 08:06 PM   #7
goodgumbo

So when a used vehicle is sold. It is taxed twice? The remaining tax of previous owner plus tax of new owner at registration change?

Does sound like a tax increase scheme.
Old 12-08-14, 08:08 PM   #8
a_monkey_hint

From what I know, the tax is linked to the registered keeper. Once the registered keeper sells the vehicle, that keeper can claim for each full month of tax remaining.

The new keeper needs to tax the vehicle.
Old 12-08-14, 08:37 PM   #9
Bibio
Mega Poster

its all getting very complicated. if the vehicle has been taxed for a full 6/12 months then nothing changes and the tax can stay with the vehicle, the tax is linked to the vehicle and not the owner. however if the owner ops for to tax the vehicle via direct debit payments then the tax will be classed as continuous via direct debit from their account. if the owner decided to sell then they can keep paying the tax (i very much doubt it) or cancel the direct debit and the vehicle becomes un-taxed.

this is all in aid to stop unlicensed vehicles on the road.... pull the other one gov.

it wont be long till the insurance companies stop handing out insurance certificates. when this happens the public wont have a clue as to when to do what. i'll then bet my socks that the gov bring a new rule out saying that we all have to pay by continuous direct debit for everything.

next it will be against the law not to have breakdown cover.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-14, 07:41 AM   #10
Kenzie

I have done some digging and it seems when you sell a car, you can claim a refund on however much tax is left depending on how you pay. If you buy a car second hand, then you have to tax it via the post office or online before you can drive away.
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote