SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Track Days Post up here about trackdays

Old 16-07-08, 01:40 PM   #1
fastdruid
Mega Poster

Default Best Trackday only tyres

I'm off to a 2 day trackday at cadwell next month[1] and the SV needs new tyres, it's been wearing D207RR's for the last few years which I love but although they've still not worn out they're old, a bit of a funny shape and probably done far too many heat cycles!

So what to replace them with?

It's for track use only, never going to see a road, normally fast group, no tyre warmers. Bike is std engine but GSXR USD forks and ohlins rear shock.

I don't have the funds to replace a set of tyres every trackday, I'm not racing and I don't have wets.

I'm torn between
Dunlop D208RR - straight upgrade of the D207RR
Dunlop D209 Qualifier RR - upgrade again of the D208 but looks to have rather less tread, better in the dry, worse in the wet?
Pirelli Supercorsa Pro SC1 front/SC2 rear - I've heard this is what the mini-twin guys use.
Bridgestone BT090 - Ace on the 400's, too much torque on the SV for it?

Any suggestions or comments?

Druid

[1] 7th/8th Aug, still spaces in the novice group if anyone is interested.
Old 16-07-08, 02:05 PM   #2
Tim in Belgium

Default Re: Best Trackday only tyres

Have you thought of Metzler Rennsport Roads?

I've been using them for track days and ring trips this year, a great sticky tyre, find I'm out cornering a lot of the bigger bikes in inters, round the outside etc. Having a slight road bias may help wrt not having tyre warmers. So far I've got 2 1/2 days at the 'Ring (including riding there and back), a TD at Croft out of mine, and will be squeezing another TD out of them at Cadwell followed by a few road miles to finish them off at the back. The bonus is that they can be found at 130 GBP a pair if you search around, great value!
Old 16-07-08, 02:24 PM   #3
fastdruid
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim in Belgium View Post
Have you thought of Metzler Rennsport Roads?

I've been using them for track days and ring trips this year, a great sticky tyre, find I'm out cornering a lot of the bigger bikes in inters, round the outside etc. Having a slight road bias may help wrt not having tyre warmers. So far I've got 2 1/2 days at the 'Ring (including riding there and back), a TD at Croft out of mine, and will be squeezing another TD out of them at Cadwell followed by a few road miles to finish them off at the back. The bonus is that they can be found at 130 GBP a pair if you search around, great value!
In all honesty no, I've never had a problem warming up the D207RR's and tbh use it as time to get into the groove again rather than dump it on the first lap. I've had road tyres on the track before (admittedly avons rather than metzler) and I *hated* them (but loved them on the road).

Druid
Old 16-07-08, 02:31 PM   #4
Tim in Belgium

I believe that the Rennsport road is the same as the old Supercorsa Pro (a road fitment not compound i.e SC1 etc) so are quite close to a track tyre, but I could be wrong. The other Rennsports come with a compound rating. But an out and out TD tyre is going to be better no doubt (but hard to get for the same money ).
Old 16-07-08, 02:37 PM   #5
fastdruid
Mega Poster

Then again at 130quid I'm tempted to throw some onto a spare set of wheels.

Druid
Old 16-07-08, 05:12 PM   #6
Sideshow#36

Quote:
Pirelli Supercorsa Pro SC1 front/SC2 rear - I've heard this is what the mini-twin guys use.
Definately.
Old 16-07-08, 05:33 PM   #7
fastdruid
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideshow#36 View Post
Definately.
Thing is I'm sure they are fantastic but how well do they last?
How good are they in the wet?

Druid
Old 16-07-08, 07:13 PM   #8
Sideshow#36

I t depends on how hard you ride as to when tey need replacing. I could make them last ages if I rode like Miss. Daisy.... (Insert Comment Here)
But I would say and average trackday rider would be good for about 3 trackdays.

You specified in the title best, "Trackday" tyres, not best all round tyres. I have had the unfortunate experience to use them in the wet for a few laps and they are pretty poor. Only way you will get round it is having 2 sets of wheels.

Oh and look on fleabay, there are always 120/70's and 160/60's up for sale from the minitwin and 400 guys!!! Much cheaper way of doing it!
Old 16-07-08, 09:51 PM   #9
fastdruid
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideshow#36 View Post
I t depends on how hard you ride as to when tey need replacing. I could make them last ages if I rode like Miss. Daisy.... (Insert Comment Here)
But I would say and average trackday rider would be good for about 3 trackdays.

You specified in the title best, "Trackday" tyres, not best all round tyres. I have had the unfortunate experience to use them in the wet for a few laps and they are pretty poor. Only way you will get round it is having 2 sets of wheels.

Oh and look on fleabay, there are always 120/70's and 160/60's up for sale from the minitwin and 400 guys!!! Much cheaper way of doing it!
Yeah, trackday tyres only but trackdays in all weathers, I do have a second set of wheels but I'd rather not get 4.5 sets of tyres[1] right now...

I'm reasonably quick, low 1m50's maybe into the 1m40's round Cadwell with the SV on D207RR's (I'm not being timed apart from a few one offs so no real idea). That's with just a GSXR750 shock, and unmodified GSXR forks, ie better than stock but not as good as say the mini-twin setup.

The D207RR's are good in the wet, I've had some suggestions from googling that the D208RR's are an good intermediate tyre for the mini-twins.

I'm not keen on part worns for three reasons 1) They're not the correct shape anymore. 2) Who knows how many heat cycles they've seen 3) All the wear is in the bit I'm going to want to use!
Ace idea for a road bike especially for a one off track day.

I may well go for a set of new D208RR's with a set of part worn supercorsa's. I'm confident that I'll like the D208RR's no matter what the weather and it's a cheap way to try out supercorsas. It's a pity the NC35 takes a 150 section rear otherwise I'd put her part worn BT090's on my spare wheels and give them a shot.

Druid

[1] My wifes bike needs a new set, the car needs a new set, my road bike needs a new rear plus two sets for the SV!
Old 17-07-08, 01:38 PM   #10
fastdruid
Mega Poster

Or it looks more like D209 Sportsmax Qualifier RR's

Is it better to go for the 120/60 original or 120/70 front?

Druid