SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-06-18, 01:56 PM   #1
egcSV650s

Default Hazards work but not indicators

Just got back from touring europe and while i was away my indicators failed completly. No hazards or signals. Luckily enough there was 3 of us so stuck in the middle and if needed stuck my leg or hand out to say where i was going. Found out it was the relay so bought one for when i got back and just plugged it in and now the hazards work but when i signal right or left, nothing. Im thinking maybe the switch but everything else on the left switch works. The other thing i noticed is that when i signal the indicator light on the dash lights up and is a still light so maybe its not the switch im not too sure? Any suggestions
egcSV650s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-18, 02:22 PM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Hazards work but not indicators

do you have aftermarket indicators fitted?

if your hazards work then its the switch wiring. if none of the indicators are working then its a sure bet that the negative wiring has a fault somewhere.

or the fuse has blown.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-18, 03:47 PM   #3
egcSV650s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
do you have aftermarket indicators fitted?

if your hazards work then its the switch wiring. if none of the indicators are working then its a sure bet that the negative wiring has a fault somewhere.

or the fuse has blown.
Yes there aftermarket. The indicators work on hazard light they all flash but when i signal left neither front or rear left work same for the right side but they all work when hazards are on. Fuses are fine
Old 02-06-18, 04:25 PM   #4
SV650rules
Mega Poster

If your indicators are LED you need a (electronic) indicator relay that is not dependent on load - if you fitted a normal thermal relay then it may just be enough load with all four LED indicators in circuit to get them flashing but not when only two in circuit, having said that a thermal relay normally puts the lamps on and the load current causes it to break the circuit and then it will reset and close the circuit again, so if not enough load indicators will either stay on or flash more quickly than normal (that is how you could tell if you had lost a bulb in a car).

If you don't have an electronic relay the only way round it with LED lights that draw very little current is to have a resistor in parallel with LED to raise its current draw to somewhere near a normal 21watt indicator bulb (which negates one of the benefits of LED .

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 02-06-18 at 04:56 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-18, 05:57 PM   #5
Bibio
Mega Poster

have the indicators ever worked?

if so then its all pointing to the left switchgear connector. have fun with that.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-18, 11:13 AM   #6
egcSV650s

After your comment SV650rules about the different power outputs i realised i was a plonker lol. I put the original resistor in and its not meant for led so put the new led resistor in and both hazards and signals are working. I feel like a right idiot lol. Thanks for all your help