SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-07-10, 09:54 AM   #31
TamSV
Mega Poster

Default Re: A new project (includes pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
Me likey.

Why not go the whole hog with the Poly stuff and do the proper retro look? I'd love to do that on an SV.
Unfortunately, I've well and truly blown the budget already. Mrs TamSV doesn't want to see any more parcels arriving until I've sold some stuff.
TamSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-10, 09:56 AM   #32
TamSV
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
is that a harris paddock stand you've got there in the 2nd form the bottom pic?
It's an Abba Stand on the bike. There's a Motrax front paddock stand also in shot.
Old 05-07-10, 08:30 PM   #33
starks

lookin good mate, i love threads like this
Old 10-07-10, 11:15 PM   #34
TamSV
Mega Poster

I got the Poly 26 unit on the bike. The only obvious fixing points were the ones in the picture below so I fitted it on with them so I could see where else it would attach.

The problem is there isn't anywhere else that comes anywhere near the subframe. I made up a bracket that sits where the rear seat lock goes and fixed a couple of additional bolts through. Actually feels pretty solid.

In the meantime I decided to relocate the battery under the seat hump. If you're a fan of mass centralisation, look away now.

I started off by making this cut to the original battery box

Then I fixed it to the rear of the subframe. I've also reused the battery support from the tank bracket which has been battered into submission to provide the fourth side of the box. Bodgetastic!

Ignore the rusty bolts and rough finish. It's just a mock up at the moment using what I found on the garage floor.

Just to finish off, I put the seat unit back on with the undertray fitted using DZUS fairing fasteners.

Old 11-07-10, 03:37 PM   #35
Dan.

looks great this, i would like to do this with a curvy in the future.
Old 13-07-10, 05:41 PM   #36
Reeder

More updates please!
Old 13-07-10, 09:52 PM   #37
kd80

Looking forward to how this progresses
Old 14-07-10, 12:09 AM   #38
Nicky S
Mega Poster

that looks well good wish i had the money and time to do this to a curvy

Nicky S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-10, 10:53 PM   #39
TamSV
Mega Poster

While waiting for a few bits and pieces to arrive I've done some necessary jobs - cleaned the carbs, checked over the cables etc. The clamps on the rubbers above and below the front carb were corroded solid and had to be cut off so they've been replaced with stainless jobs. All necessary stuff, but not too exciting.

Put these forks on tonight - and I absolutely did not mount the frame and grip the bars while making vroom vroom noises.

Should have got some black ones shouldn't I? Ah well, next time. I'll need to add some more shiny bits to balance things out.

Took that bargain SRAD front mudguard that I got off ebay out its box to find that it's not an SRAD - miles away from fitting.

Still need a front wheel too but I think I might have what I need by next week.

I've got discs and SRAD 600 4 pot calipers. I've also got some Goodridge lines in stock for the SV that I was going to put on my other bike. Will these be too long for the SRAD front end?

Rear subframe tidied up and sprayed with Hammerite.

The previous owner kept the bike outside with a cover on it. It apparently went over on its side in the wind one night and cracked the RHS plastics. It also put a dent in the side of the radiator and had twisted the mounting points.

I've cut off the fairing mounting points and straightened up the brackets. Gave it a couple of coats of Halfords High Temp paint. It looks loads better but it's taken a fair bit of obvious damage. I'm not springing for a new one so I'll probably get one of those stainless guards for a naked and make it fit. Poor photo - I'll get a better one.

Got these the other day after seeing Barwells. GB Moto. Look like good value to me. A wee job for tomorrow.

I was going to put the ignition down in the frame on the left hand side a la Kuku and Haggis. Had a look with the carbs back on and it's bloody tight.

I might chicken out and leave it standard for now. Maybe.

Anyway, I'm now putting a dent in a bottle of Dalmore.

Last edited by TamSV; 05-08-10 at 08:24 AM.
Old 17-07-10, 12:07 AM   #40
TamSV
Mega Poster

That's a pattern mudguard ordered up.

Ebay plus whisky makes for a decisive TamSV.