SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-04-19, 03:10 PM   #31
shiftin_gear98

Default Re: Exhaust Muffler

My K6 still has the factory fitted exhaust. Mainly because I'm a tight git. But then there was nothing wrong with it so no need to fiddle.
Obviously my neighbours are grateful too if it's a quite as you say. As I leave the house at 6.30 every morning!
shiftin_gear98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-19, 03:25 PM   #32
Othen

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftin_gear98 View Post
My K6 still has the factory fitted exhaust. Mainly because I'm a tight git. But then there was nothing wrong with it so no need to fiddle.
Obviously my neighbours are grateful too if it's a quite as you say. As I leave the house at 6.30 every morning!

There is nothing wrong with being a tightwad (I’m very proud of being frugal).

On the whole I think aftermarket parts rarely improve bikes (or cars); usually the designer had it about right. Mostly I’ve returned my K6 project to standard by using OEM parts (often good used ones), the exceptions have been where the OEM item was significantly more expensive (even used) than acceptable replacements. These were the wavy discs, the oil cooler pipes and the LED indicators - all of which were cheaper, and in my opinion at least as good as the broken or worn out originals.

My very nice neighbours have appreciated me returning the K6 back to the original muffler - the Fuel one really was needlessly loud and so socially unacceptable.

Alan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 24-04-19, 07:10 AM   #33
aesmith

In case you're rebuilding the Fuel exhaust, these guys do all sorts of spare parts.

https://www.spengineering.co.uk/exhaust-spares.html

If it were me I'd use alloy rivets, stainless steel are quite tough to set. Alloy are easier to drill out and replace, so not really the end of the world if they needed replacing in a few years.
aesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-19, 10:59 AM   #34
Othen

I filled up with gas this morn, the K6 took 11.5l having covered 115 miles (the low fuel light had just started blinking) I make that 115/2.53=46 MPG, which is identically the same as with the Fuel muffler fitted. I conclude there has been no change in performance whatsoever between the Fuel and standard mufflers, just a reduction in noise.
Old 25-04-19, 08:02 AM   #35
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I filled up with gas this morn, the K6 took 11.5l having covered 115 miles (the low fuel light had just started blinking) I make that 115/2.53=46 MPG, which is identically the same as with the Fuel muffler fitted. I conclude there has been no change in performance whatsoever between the Fuel and standard mufflers, just a reduction in noise.
On a full tank of fuel on my Curvy I've had close 160 miles before my low fuel light comes on.I haven't done an MPG for a while but I've varied between 54 Mpg to 60 Mpg so yours seems quite low.

My Curvy also has the higher gearing chain/sprocket combo,

JT 45 Tooth Rear Sprocket

JT 15 Tooth Front Sprocket
Old 25-04-19, 08:14 AM   #36
Craig380
Mega Poster

My K6S (bog standard apart from an SV1000 airbox snorkel and Iridium plugs) used to average around 55mpg in open-road riding at a fairly brisk pace. Then again, it had only done a quarter of the mileage of Othen's bike!
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-19, 08:47 AM   #37
daktulos

My curvy is averaging 52mpg on a commute to London (about half motorway, half swearing at people).
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-19, 08:59 AM   #38
Othen

Thank you for those comments chaps.
I'll monitor the fuel consumption over the next few months and build up a better picture - the first snapshot was based on a single tank of gas. I read somewhere (in these pages I think) that K series bikes can produce anything from 40-60MPG, so I'm not sure it is too far off the mark, bearing in mind it is a 134,000 mile bike.
Old 25-04-19, 09:08 AM   #39
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Thank you for those comments chaps.
I'll monitor the fuel consumption over the next few months and build up a better picture - the first snapshot was based on a single tank of gas. I read somewhere (in these pages I think) that K series bikes can produce anything from 40-60MPG, so I'm not sure it is too far off the mark, bearing in mind it is a 134,000 mile bike.
With all the work you have done on the bike have you checked the Carb/fuel bodies are correctly balanced?

Not only does it make a big difference to vibrations and comfort it also affects MPG.
Old 25-04-19, 09:13 AM   #40
Othen

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff View Post
With all the work you have done on the bike have you checked the Carb/fuel bodies are correctly balanced?

Not only does it make a big difference to vibrations and comfort it also affects MPG.

Not yet, I’ll have a look at that soon, I have a feeling the fuel injection may be running a bit rich (just a feeling, I have not run any checks yet). I’m running some Redex through the system for a couple of tanks of fuel to let everything settle down at the moment.

I have found a good article (in these pages) about adjusting the throttle position sensor and was going to carry out that procedure in the next few days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk