SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-05-19, 05:23 PM   #21
Othen

Default Osram Night Breaker Laser H4

Is there any reason not to just fit some 100w xenon bulbs like these for about 」7? I知 guessing they would just fit in the original lamps complete with the little rubber gaiters and the electrics could easily manage another 35W (so 3A). I suppose there might be a bit more heat produced, so that might keep my hands a bit warmer

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F350754325641

... I知 thinking these are well worth a gamble at only 」6.75, delivered to my house.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by Othen; 18-05-19 at 05:37 PM.
Old 18-05-19, 08:55 PM   #22
daktulos

Default Re: Osram Night Breaker Laser H4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Is there any reason not to just fit some 100w xenon bulbs like these for about 」7? I知 guessing they would just fit in the original lamps complete with the little rubber gaiters and the electrics could easily manage another 35W (so 3A). I suppose there might be a bit more heat produced, so that might keep my hands a bit warmer

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F350754325641

... I知 thinking these are well worth a gamble at only 」6.75, delivered to my house.

I don't think those are Xenon HID lights, just halogen lights with a blue filter. There doesn't appear to be a ballast - my guess is that the small print says they're "xenon effect" or something.
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-19, 08:57 PM   #23
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

The brand is xenon. The bulb is halogen painted blue
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-19, 09:18 PM   #24
Othen

Quote:
Originally Posted by daktulos View Post
I don't think those are Xenon HID lights, just halogen lights with a blue filter. There doesn't appear to be a ballast - my guess is that the small print says they're "xenon effect" or something.

Why do you think that? It says HID in the title. I知 just curious, I don稚 know much about headlamp bulbs.

Old 18-05-19, 09:20 PM   #25
daktulos

Quote:
Why do you think that? It says HID in the title. I知 just curious, I don稚 know much about headlamp bulbs.
They run at something like 30kV, so aren't a direct replacement for a 12V bulb - the upgrade kits would include a ballast which generates the signal to drive them.
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-19, 09:43 PM   #26
Othen

Quote:
Originally Posted by daktulos View Post
They run at something like 30kV, so aren't a direct replacement for a 12V bulb - the upgrade kits would include a ballast which generates the signal to drive them.

These bulbs run at 30,000V? Can that be right? I think I need to do a bit more research into the technology if that is the case.

An addendum: the starter (just like the gas discharge lights I have in my aquarium) generates about 25kV, but once the arc is formed the they require about 80V to maintain it (good old Google). That sounds more plausible.

I think I値l stick with the H4 halogen bulbs, they work fine.

Last edited by Othen; 18-05-19 at 09:52 PM.
Old 19-05-19, 12:09 AM   #27
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Quote:

Probably because there is a picture of a halogen bulb dunked in blue paint. Also the brand name is Xenons.biz. Also you can clearly see that it is a halogen H4 bulb. Also the description describes nothing. Also the feedback describes the bulb as "normal lights with a blue tint". Also there is no mention or pictures of any kind of ballast whatsoever. Also it costs 」6.75

Is this your first day on the internet?

Quote:
It says HID in the title
Oh yeah! Ok nevermind then, it must be a HID bulb
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-19, 04:51 AM   #28
Othen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenSV650S View Post
Probably because there is a picture of a halogen bulb dunked in blue paint. Also the brand name is Xenons.biz. Also you can clearly see that it is a halogen H4 bulb. Also the description describes nothing. Also the feedback describes the bulb as "normal lights with a blue tint". Also there is no mention or pictures of any kind of ballast whatsoever. Also it costs 」6.75

Is this your first day on the internet?

Oh yeah! Ok nevermind then, it must be a HID bulb

You think me very foolish. Ho hum.

Old 20-05-19, 01:57 PM   #29
aesmith

If intending to fit higher power H4 bulbs it would be worth looking into fitting relays and a direct feed from the battery. Consider that in the standard circuit the current for the lights passes through the ignition switch, then to and from the start button on the right handlebar, then through the dip switch on the left, then finally to the lights.
aesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-19, 05:31 AM   #30
Othen

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesmith View Post
If intending to fit higher power H4 bulbs it would be worth looking into fitting relays and a direct feed from the battery. Consider that in the standard circuit the current for the lights passes through the ignition switch, then to and from the start button on the right handlebar, then through the dip switch on the left, then finally to the lights.

That is a fair point, two 60W bulbs are going to draw 5A each, so 10A, whereas two 100W bulbs will draw 16A. The wiring looks like it is about 1.0mm^2, so it would be on the margins. So, having thought about it, there would be no point fitting more powerful halogen bulbs. There is nothing much wrong with the standard ones.

As LEDs become cheaper (as they inevitably will) it may be worth converting to that type, one would expect the power consumption to be about 20% as much (allowing a bit for the little cooling fans they seem to have).

Last edited by Othen; 21-05-19 at 06:48 AM.