SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-01-07, 08:35 AM   #1
skint

Default Heated grips

Anybody fitted heated grips before? Yes I know they are for tarts - so ok I'm a tart - I can live with that better than cold hands! My hands get really cold (even in less extreme weather) and bad circulation means I lose feeling in my fingers (isn't that a song?). I've got nice new gloves which will last me about 50 miles before I have to stop to regain circulation.

I bought Motrax grips but can't work out how you fit the throttle side with the throttle body.

the Motrax grips have a hard internal surface that is supposedly split length ways to open up to allow fitting then close to ensure grip But how do they go onto the throttle body?

I'm no mechanic!
Old 03-01-07, 08:39 AM   #2
thor

Do a search, this has been covered many times before. Also, I think there is a how-to on the main site.
Old 03-01-07, 09:16 AM   #3
skint

Yes, but I couldn't find what I was looking for. I may not have searched all that well?

Because the grips are hard surfaced internally, I can't understand how they grip to the throttle body?
Old 03-01-07, 09:22 AM   #4
thor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumphumphumph
Yes, but I couldn't find what I was looking for. I may not have searched all that well?

Because the grips are hard surfaced internally, I can't understand how they grip to the throttle body?
with glue
Old 03-01-07, 09:33 AM   #5
skint

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumphumphumph

with glue
Thanks Thor, but at the risk of really sounding thicker than I have done so far ; the throttle body is ribbed, does the hard surfaced heated grip just slip over and glue to the upper ridges of the throttle body? Sorry to sound so dim but they didn't have such luxury when I started biking and I'm just a bit nervous mucking up. Rather look dim here rather than wheel bike into bike shop full of clever sh*t mechs if I mess up
Old 03-01-07, 09:39 AM   #6
thor

Well, you could sand the ridges off. It's pretty soft plastic so not difficult. That's probably what I did. On my bike, there was also an angled "shoulder" at the end closest to the yoke that I also sanded away. In reflection, it might be worth considering buying an R6 throttle tube and leaving the standard one alone. Would make refitting the originals easier, and the R6 throttle tube increased throttle action should help to combat the decreased throttle action of heated grips, due to their increased radius. R6 throttle tubes can be had from any yammy dealer at about £12. Hoe that helps.
Old 03-01-07, 10:07 AM   #7
northwind
Mega Poster

On the carbed bike, you have to cut off the ridges with Oxford grips- Motrax ones and injected bikes could well be the same, never met one though. Oh aye, and throttle bodies are the actual fel injection part, what you have there most people would call a throttle tube or sometimes throttle rocker. Just to save some smart**** giving you gyp about it later
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-07, 10:32 AM   #8
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind
On the carbed bike, you have to cut off the ridges with Oxford grips- Motrax ones and injected bikes could well be the same, never met one though.
I can confirm the pointies have just the same ridge
Old 03-01-07, 11:25 AM   #9
skint

Thanks everyone for this, given me a bit more confidence in taking a knife to the bike!

pity the instructions don't state this, now apprently 'bleeding' obvious, detail!

No idea why I said throttle body, though I was reading bits of the manual - must have just stuck in the grey matter! I'm not complaining, its nice that something does stick in there these days even if it ain't much use
Old 03-01-07, 05:25 PM   #10
redlavachips

Quote:
I lose feeling in my fingers (isn't that a song?).
isnt tht wet wet wet, love is all around ?
i bit off topic lol :P