SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

EuroTour An area to discuss potential European trips, and to ask advice about long distance touring.

Old 06-05-07, 11:32 PM   #1
Demonz

Default Euro Map Routes

With the new Google maps it would be cool to see some more maps put up with some sort of outline and rating so peeps could get some idea of the areas covered the attractions and overall experience.

Although I have already posted about this the end of the last summer I finally got around to putting together a map of the Route I did. My aim was to link together some of the best passes as recommended off www.alpineroads.com and just ride everyday as hard as I could.

HERE IS THE MAP >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The Route Outline:
Day 1: Channel Tunnel – Reims – Metz – Nancy – St Die (France)
Day 2: Vosges – Southern Areas Mostly (France)
Day 3: Vosges – Basel – Black Forest ( Germany) – Zurich (Switzerland) – Winterthur
Day 4: Winterthur – Swiss Passes – Swiss/Italian Border
Day 5: Swiss/Italian Border – Italian Passes – Corvara (Italy - Dolomites)
Day 6: Dolomites
Day 7 Dolomites – Lienz (Austria) – Gross Glockner Pass – Kirchberg
Day 8: Austrian Passes
Day 9: Kirchberg – Munich (Germany) – Bad Durkheim
Day 10: Bad Drucken – Metz –Reims – Channel Tunnel

Heres a link to some pics and breif outline off my biker blog. One day I may actually put together a decent ride report and name the passes I covered. Surfice to say that if I had the chance to do it again I would.

As it was my first trip to the Alps and I have nothing else to compare it with so its a bit difficult to compare and rate it. Overall I have to say it was one of the best experiences I have enjoyed on the bike.
Old 07-05-07, 07:57 AM   #2
Jelster

Default Re: Euro Map Routes

Oh Grant what have you done.... I'm gonna be here working routes through Gmap and posting them when I should really be doing other stuff....

I think the problem with posting routes is two fold.

What appeals to some won't appeal to others. Some people don't like the really tight twisty stuff in the Voges, but like the open, less complex passes in the Southern Alps. I also love the Grand St Bernard and back down into France over the Col du Forclaz, but a number of people don't like it...

Also, trying to "build it all" into a trip becomes a problem and doesn't leave the rider free to discover any roads for themselves.

But yes, bring it on people, show us your routes... (no not the grey ones on your head).
Old 07-05-07, 01:03 PM   #3
Demonz

Come on Steve show us your secret spots...

I hear what you are saying. Maybe in the area boxes or point flags we can put some better descriptions on what the roads are like and why they were enjoyed/disliked ect.
Old 07-05-07, 05:20 PM   #4
Jelster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmonsta View Post
Come on Steve show us your secret spots...
I need to work out a quicker way of using that Gmap thing as doing it all manually takes ages. I have a number of routes but they are all on Autoroute...