SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

View Poll Results: Are ya Dyslexic? Private poll
LAD, YES 13 27.66%
LAD, NO 26 55.32%
LAD, DUNNO 2 4.26%
LASS, YES 1 2.13%
LASS, NO 5 10.64%
LASS, DUNNO 0 0%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24-05-08, 08:23 AM   #1
Caddy2000

Default Curious about dyslexia

I'm dyslexic, but just wondered who else on here is.
I know that a high percentage of squaddies are dyslexic, and I just wondered if in a weird way biking attracts a higher than average proportion of right side thinkers.....
Old 24-05-08, 11:19 AM   #2
ArtyLady

Default Re: Curious about dyslexia

Have voted no because Im not dyslexic - but Im pretty certain that I have Dyscalculia (the mathematic equivalent). I do have family members who are dyslexic though. hth
Old 24-05-08, 11:32 AM   #3
wheelnut

Sorry haven't time to answer right now, Im taking my god for a walk.
Old 24-05-08, 11:35 AM   #4
gettin2dizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelnut View Post
Sorry haven't time to answer right now, Im taking my god for a wank.
Fixed
Old 24-05-08, 11:42 AM   #5
fat_brstd

I am supposidly dyslexic but frankly I think its a load of rubbish. Some people are good at some things others arnt so good. Thats life, people are different, I dont think that we should be given extra time and other such considerations in exams, it defeats the whole point of having a standadised test which allows you to compare people by. As far as im concerned a lot of people use it as an excuse which annoys me. Anyway rant over.
Old 24-05-08, 12:34 PM   #6
gettin2dizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat_brstd View Post
I am supposidly dyslexic but frankly I think its a load of rubbish. Some people are good at some things others arnt so good. Thats life, people are different, I dont think that we should be given extra time and other such considerations in exams, it defeats the whole point of having a standadised test which allows you to compare people by. As far as im concerned a lot of people use it as an excuse which annoys me. Anyway rant over.

It's the same in my experience.

My ex was terrible with maths; she hadn't the slightest clue and as such tended to avoid the subject beliving she wasn't born for it. SHe then started working in a cash only cafe and her arithmetic was better than mine (as an engineer) in a week or so! I don't doubt that some people can struggle with words/maths but give them a disability and they'll try to work around the problem.
Old 24-05-08, 12:45 PM   #7
Bear

+1 for hating people using it as an excuse, especially on a forum which has a spell checker!

I understand it can be hard to re-read things in order to try to get it right if you suffer from dyslexia, but then if us non-dyslexics have to spend 5 minutes decoding your post...

Some people are fine, and I wouldn't have known they were dyslexic just from reading their stuff on the forum, so it's obviously possible to get around it, but there's at least one person who seems to bring it up every five minutes or so and it drives me up the wall!

I'm not trying to belittle anyone who suffers from this problem, just those who say "I've got a problem so the world has to work around me" annoy me. Personally I'm officially a giant, and I get annoyed at having to stoop to get through doors. I'm not campaigning to have all the doors raised!
Old 24-05-08, 12:51 PM   #8
gettin2dizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
I'm officially a giant, and I get annoyed at having to stoop to get through doors. I'm not campaigning to have all the doors raised!
oooh, how about bikes made for those of us over 5'6"
Old 24-05-08, 04:22 PM   #9
anna
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
+1 for hating people using it as an excuse, especially on a forum which has a spell checker!
...sorry I'm not dyslexic I'm just lazy
anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-08, 05:47 PM   #10
daz311066

Ive just been to look at a Whorehouse sorry warehouse