SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 23-01-19, 07:01 PM   #281
embee
Mega Poster

Default Re: Quote of the day (sorry, Brexit related)

Just as a tangent, did anyone watch the Benedict Cumberbatch drama depicting the referendum campaign? Quite entertaining.
A very significant aspect of the leave campaigning strategy was the same as used in the Trump campaign, it's basically to sow the seeds of nostalgia which take people back to a mythical land of milk and honey, just give the prompt and the recipients fill in their own story. It's epitomised by the use of the words "back" and "again", "restore" etc. , take back control ("take control" didn't cut it, it needs the "back" to make it work), restore sovereignty, make America great again.
The remain campaign was lamentably inept, spouting numbers at people will immediately turn them off, something the establishment like Cameron and Osborne simply didn't comprehend. Tell people what they want to hear and they'll vote for it, tell people bad news and they react against it. Simple psychology, too complex for some politicians to understand.
The leave campaign never needed to have any sort of rational plan for implementing anything, the basic idea of us standing up to the foe and being masters of our own destiny was enough.
Old 23-01-19, 07:02 PM   #282
zsv650s

Red ones Why don't you ask him yourself he has a phone in show on LBC if you would like to quiz him.

Last edited by zsv650s; 23-01-19 at 07:06 PM.
zsv650s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-19, 08:01 PM   #283
Red ones
Mega Poster

Default Quote of the day (sorry, Brexit related)

Because I don't want to.

The claim was that no one said they wanted anyone to leave. Nigel Farage did say just that.
He held large posters above his head about it. Just as clearly as there was a bus that said we would get £350 million a week and Boris had a big poster saying he would give it to the NHS. All of it.

I don't need to phone a local radio station to tell Farage he lied. Enough people have done that and yet he still sits smugly grinning and adoring the attention. The only amusing thing is that he admitted it straight away but his supporters have carried on believing it.

I'm intrigued by something, maybe the Org can clarify it for me.
When a remainer suggests that leaving will cause unemployment, or financial stress, it's called Project Fear. When I've suggested to brexiters that the only way out of the current mess is to delay article 50 and seek a second referendum I'm told that will cause civil unrest. Anyone else notice this?

Interesting use of language.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Red ones; 23-01-19 at 08:11 PM.
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-19, 09:28 PM   #284
embee
Mega Poster

It's what in the "Yes Minister" and "Yes Prime Minister" scripts, Bernard called an irregular verb, or an emotive conjugation. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotive_conjugation
Old 23-01-19, 10:42 PM   #285
Talking Heads

The ships are leaving the sinking rats.

"The government has faced criticism from opposition politicians over awarding a contract to Seaborne Freight, which they said had no ships and highlighted the rush to secure ships to avoid disruptions at major ports.
When asked on Tuesday if P&O could provide space on ships if needed by the government, the company declined to comment."

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-br...-idUKKCN1PG1KA
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-19, 08:25 AM   #286
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

P&O European Ferries (Dover) have already(last month) transferred two of their six cross channel ferries from the British registry to Cyprus. The othe four will follow shortly,before March29 anyway.No big deal in itself but indicative of the drip drip effect of brexit as numerous companies transfer bits of their commercial activity out of the UK. Shame that our great country is being dragged down by this madness.
Old 24-01-19, 09:54 AM   #287
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
It's what in the "Yes Minister" and "Yes Prime Minister" scripts, Bernard called an irregular verb, or an emotive conjugation. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotive_conjugation
It's really disappointing how people still fall for this. More so in recent times with the tabloids exaggerating everything out of proportion.

I try to explain to people to try to single out the facts in any given article or publication but it rarely gets anywhere. Even reporting on emotionally neutral things like science seems written in a way that deliberately leads to false implications.

"Recent studies show that... <insert conclusion here>" becomes fact in the mind of the reader. So you can draw your own conclusions on what happens with politically charged subjects.
Old 28-01-19, 07:27 PM   #288
SV650rules
Mega Poster

My brother just wrote to his local MP, who is pushing for a 'peoples vote ' on Brexit despite representing a constituency that voted over 60% for leave.

He just asked her to think about how she was elected, and that she had accepted the vote to elect her without a murmur and she would probably be very upset if some of her constituents now called for another vote because they had changed their minds about her....

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-19, 07:49 PM   #289
zsv650s

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
My brother just wrote to his local MP, who is pushing for a 'peoples vote ' on Brexit despite representing a constituency that voted over 60% for leave.

He just asked her to think about how she was elected, and that she had accepted the vote to elect her without a murmur and she would probably be very upset if some of her constituents now called for another vote because they had changed their minds about her....
precisely only when it suits them if remain had won do you think we'd be having this same option continually brought up I think not.
zsv650s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-19, 09:28 PM   #290
Talking Heads

Makes no odds who England votes for if there's another GE, red and blue tories similarly split on brexit.
The "british" parties simply haven't a clue and westminster is rotten to the core.
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote