SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 09-10-08, 07:33 PM   #1
Jdubya

Default Responsible or not?

Just focussing on the bike the camera is mounted on, I think he is rather irresponsible and although assuming that these ride together all the time and they know each others' riding style, its still not a very nice thought thinking that if a goat/child/anything ran out into the road, at least two of them would be mince!

Your opinions?
Old 09-10-08, 07:48 PM   #2
Lozzo

Default Re: Responsible or not?

He rides pretty much like I do with my trusted mates. The guy on the black ZX has horrible body position in corners, he needs to move his upper body over as well, not twist like he does with his head in the centre line of the bike.
Old 09-10-08, 07:53 PM   #3
orose

I don't think its a very good idea for pretty much the same reason you do - I'd rather be in a staggered position there, so I could see more than his tail lights ahead. The other question is what happens if he does overcook it - you'd be drawn in easily if the guy in front went straight, so you could have a teabreak together in the hedge.
Old 09-10-08, 07:54 PM   #4
Jdubya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozzo View Post
He rides pretty much like I do with my trusted mates. The guy on the black ZX has horrible body position in corners, he needs to move his upper body over as well, not twist like he does with his head in the centre line of the bike.
You ride that close to your mates while averaging between 90 and 105mph Feck me! I don't trust anyone that much...
Old 09-10-08, 07:54 PM   #5
Sean_C

He must be pretty confident nothing is coming the other way with his positioning around right handers...
Old 09-10-08, 07:58 PM   #6
Lozzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdubya View Post
You ride that close to your mates while averaging between 90 and 105mph Feck me! I don't trust anyone that much...
I've been riding like that with some of my mates for over 20 years, I trust them implicitly, and they trust me not to do anything too stupid. If someone new comes for a ride with us on a one-off outing, none of us would allow him to get as close because we don't know them. You second guess after a while and learn how people ride and judge what they're going to do by body position etc.

The only thing I saw that warranted any real comment was matey's appalling cornering style - he needs lessons in how to move his whole upper body over, not just shifting his backside off the seat
Old 09-10-08, 08:05 PM   #7
Flamin_Squirrel

Quote:
Your opinions?
Not for us to moralise.

Nothing to see here, move along.
Old 09-10-08, 08:19 PM   #8
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Just focussing on the bike the camera is mounted on, I think he is rather irresponsible and although assuming that these ride together all the time and they know each others' riding style, its still not a very nice thought thinking that if a goat/child/anything ran out into the road, at least two of them would be mince!

Your opinions?
Why don't they have roads like that in the UK?!!?

Endless open sweeping flowing corners ... and f-all traffic or cops/speed cameras!! ... bliss!

As for children and goats stepping out ... in the middle of nowhere in south African??? .... its not London city central out there you know!!

You need to be jealous, not dissing him!!
Old 09-10-08, 08:21 PM   #9
Blue_SV650S

Quote:

Don't be so wet ... I ride faster than that and closer than that with people I have never even met before (i.e. on trackdays)!!
Old 09-10-08, 08:29 PM   #10
Baph

OK, observations of the bike with the camera:
- Wheelies on public road - not big, not clever.
- road positioning is terrible.
- excessive speed, both past the roadworks (could of been a truck waiting to come out on that left bend) and past the car on the left bend (from what I saw, I think it was stopped, cut it too close to the car, a door could of opened & taken him/her out!).
- what use of positioning they make isn't smoothly applied, leaving more guess work for other riders in formation.
- they used part of a junction to shorten a left bend. WTF?
- at times, use of the wrong side of the road wasn't required, but was used anyway.

In the UK, if seen by a copper, that'd be good enough for a dangerous driving charge.