SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 12-06-21, 11:32 AM   #9721
timwilky
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

65 years ago, my parents recieved a Wedgwood dinner service from my maternal grand parents as a wedding present, (They also gave them a 3 bed semi) I now own the dinner service, alas the semi was traded up and divorce.

So at present I have a plaster cast on my broken left wrist. A brace securing my realigned right thumb meaning to hold anything requires two hands as I have no grip on either hand. So this morning I saw a plate falling, got to it with one hand and managed to knock it onto the tiled floor, smash. Wife comes running and more earache about how useless I am.

Fortunately, it was a relatively common pattern and oddments turn up on auction sites. But never cheap and the phrase perfect condition appears to cover multiple scratches, chips and cracks. And whenever I start looking, i end up buying loads I already have, to get the piece I need

Last edited by timwilky; 12-06-21 at 11:33 AM.
timwilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-21, 09:45 AM   #9722
Bibio
Mega Poster

finding all my fly fishing gear in my lockup in a soaking wet bag...... i thought it was in the attic where its nice and dry.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-21, 11:29 AM   #9723
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
finding all my fly fishing gear in my lockup in a soaking wet bag...... i thought it was in the attic where its nice and dry.
So is the gripe wet gear or roof leak?
Old 14-06-21, 11:38 AM   #9724
Bibio
Mega Poster

cast alloy reals + water for long time = furry mess. also lost a lot of flies and lines.

reels are soaking in ACF-50 as i type...
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-21, 06:50 PM   #9725
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Next door is trimming his hedge between our back gardens when all I want to do is relax after a hard day. He has the cheapest, noisiest 2-stroke multi-tool imaginable (it only runs for a few minutes at a time before conking out) with a really short blade so it takes him hours to get nowhere. He has zero gardening skills and normally just cuts things down. This means I need to get out and use my quiet, rechargeable Stihl trimmer to do my hedge between us out front or he'll try and do it, leaving it a scruffy, uneven mess like he did last time (I waited for the family to go out and did it again).

Thank flip the blue tits have just fledged from the box beside the hedge he is making a mess of or he could well have doomed them. Even luckier is I bet he never noticed the blackbirds nesting in the hedge, or that they gave up a few weeks ago (probably disturbed by their wretched cat) or he'd be sealing their fate too... You don't trim hedges until the end of June normally for this reason!
Old 16-06-21, 07:06 AM   #9726
BoltonSte
Mega Poster

Rear puncture - got geared up to head to work and there's a screw in it, must have picked it up on the back street on Monday coming home.

1st one in 12 years so I've had a good innings, and hopefully it can be repaired - I'll find out later. Single sider and I don't have any stands yet so need to ride it down to the local tyre place as I'm out on it tonight.
BoltonSte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-21, 12:37 PM   #9727
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post
Next door is trimming his hedge between our back gardens when all I want to do is relax after a hard day. He has the cheapest, noisiest 2-stroke multi-tool imaginable (it only runs for a few minutes at a time before conking out) with a really short blade so it takes him hours to get nowhere. He has zero gardening skills and normally just cuts things down. This means I need to get out and use my quiet, rechargeable Stihl trimmer to do my hedge between us out front or he'll try and do it, leaving it a scruffy, uneven mess like he did last time (I waited for the family to go out and did it again).

Thank flip the blue tits have just fledged from the box beside the hedge he is making a mess of or he could well have doomed them. Even luckier is I bet he never noticed the blackbirds nesting in the hedge, or that they gave up a few weeks ago (probably disturbed by their wretched cat) or he'd be sealing their fate too... You don't trim hedges until the end of June normally for this reason!
Does it remind you of the smell of 2 stroke racing bikes though ?
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-21, 12:45 PM   #9728
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenrico View Post

Castrol R for hedge trimmers, leaf blowers and chainsaws - Yeah ( Castrol Power 1 racing 2T - modern oil with great smell )

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-21, 07:28 PM   #9729
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenrico View Post
Yes - a very badly tuned racing moped with a badly fitted spannie... Those cheap multi-tools from a DIY shed are usually very small capacity gutless things with garbage attachments, so hopefully it will break down soon. He got it last year and I doubt he has the first idea about servicing so it must be on borrowed time by now!
Old 16-06-21, 07:58 PM   #9730
Swin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post
Yes - a very badly tuned racing moped with a badly fitted spannie... Those cheap multi-tools from a DIY shed are usually very small capacity gutless things with garbage attachments, so hopefully it will break down soon. He got it last year and I doubt he has the first idea about servicing so it must be on borrowed time by now!
That's what you think - the damn thing will be annoying you 5 years from now and continuing to refuse to die