SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 03-01-20, 05:21 PM   #7841
Chris_SVS

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Breaking chain tool when riveting link..Rescued the tool with a hacksaw and persuasion device so can still press rivets out, I didn't get the job finished so bike can't move

Last edited by Chris_SVS; 03-01-20 at 05:24 PM.
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-20, 05:38 PM   #7842
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

What chain tool are you using? Name and shame!
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-20, 07:12 PM   #7843
Chris_SVS

I'll have to look, it's a plain hardcase. It's Draper or Sealey I think
Old 05-01-20, 06:28 PM   #7844
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_SVS View Post
Get a 'Laser' brand one..

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-20, 08:10 AM   #7845
shiftin_gear98

Work
Old 06-01-20, 12:20 PM   #7846
BoltonSte
Mega Poster

Getting ill again, feels like what I had before Christmas that put me on my **** for a week.

The fun of two kids, they are just getting over their colds, we are such a sharing family.
BoltonSte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-20, 01:35 PM   #7847
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Trying to be decisive about the Street Triple, so have decided to sell / trade it. Remembering what a nightmare the previous couple of private sales have been I thought I'd lose a bit of money and go for a simpler trade-in. Turning out to not be simple at all! Why is it so hard to get test rides, ideas of PX value etc. Dealers want fees for getting their bike serviced to test ride (thanks but no thanks Fowlers), commitment to buy after the test ride (How does that work? .. so it's not really a test ride but a ride on your own bike you've committed to?!) and seem to try their best to slag off what is basically a very low miles immaculate bike I'm trying to trade.

Then there's trying to compare prices, only to find the cheaper good deal you've seen isn't so good once you've added on £129 admin fees and "on the road" fees!? Why do they not price them with that all in the marked price? (Rhetorical question.. I know the answer).

Not helping me be decisive. Every time I've tried to take photos etc to list it I've decided I want to keep it. When the weather gets warm I know I'll just be keeping it if it hasn't sold as it'll be a joy to ride in the heat of summer.

Last edited by Adam Ef; 06-01-20 at 01:38 PM.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-20, 04:18 PM   #7848
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_SVS View Post
chain link extractor laser 4191

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Laser-4191-...8327150&sr=8-1

Have had one of these for years, done several chains - all you need is a dremel or drill with grinding stone ( at a pinch small angle grinder ) to grind head off one of the existing chain rivets before pushing it out...

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-20, 08:18 PM   #7849
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
Trying to be decisive about the Street Triple, so have decided to sell / trade it. Remembering what a nightmare the previous couple of private sales have been I thought I'd lose a bit of money and go for a simpler trade-in. Turning out to not be simple at all! Why is it so hard to get test rides, ideas of PX value etc. Dealers want fees for getting their bike serviced to test ride (thanks but no thanks Fowlers), commitment to buy after the test ride (How does that work? .. so it's not really a test ride but a ride on your own bike you've committed to?!) and seem to try their best to slag off what is basically a very low miles immaculate bike I'm trying to trade.

Then there's trying to compare prices, only to find the cheaper good deal you've seen isn't so good once you've added on £129 admin fees and "on the road" fees!? Why do they not price them with that all in the marked price? (Rhetorical question.. I know the answer).

Not helping me be decisive. Every time I've tried to take photos etc to list it I've decided I want to keep it. When the weather gets warm I know I'll just be keeping it if it hasn't sold as it'll be a joy to ride in the heat of summer.
Selling private is probably better seeing as you're not in a rush to get rid. The right person will come along and know what they want and their budget, unlike a dealer who wants it for as little as possible for profit, people simply want ' a good deal'.

They're a good bike and it will sell, just need to price it right (with a little wiggle room built in) and you'll be ok. Ebay is a good place to be fair (iirc listing fee is only £20) and I sold my bike on their with relative ease.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-20, 09:00 PM   #7850
Chris_SVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
chain link extractor laser 4191

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Laser-4191-...8327150&sr=8-1

Have had one of these for years, done several chains - all you need is a dremel or drill with grinding stone ( at a pinch small angle grinder ) to grind head off one of the existing chain rivets before pushing it out...
Grinding the head is new to me, I just use the tool

The link is the exact same tool I broke I'd be dubious about buying another even from a different brand. (if I commuted still I'd be up a fecal creek with no paddle today)