SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 21-07-20, 09:08 AM   #8361
shiftin_gear98

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Todays Gripe.

Rant Mode On.
**** Munchers on motorbikes - yeah a bit of a sensitive subject on a motorbike forum. Especially with regard to cycling.
I have recently rekindled my interest in cycling, mainly down to it being mentioned on here. I have started to cycle to work three days a week - 40 - 60 miles per day depending on time constraints.

Yesterday and today I have noticed that not all motorcyclist are nice. Some for a better description are **** Munchers.
Yesterday some ***** nearly took my arm off, by whizzing past whilst I was signalling to turn right. And today, just because you can overtake and stay in the same lane as there is technically just enough space.
Doesn't mean it's a very nice thing to do, all three times this morning weren't very pleasant being the cyclist.
I did laugh when one of the said **** Munchers nearly ran out of room between himself and the massive lorry coming the other way. ****.

So as we all have a right to be on the road - apart from cyclist riding two abreast down country lanes around blind corners, I still don't agree with that - then lets give each other a little room to enjoy what we are doing. It only takes a second to **** it up and maim someone.

Rant Mode Off.

Last edited by shiftin_gear98; 21-07-20 at 11:34 AM.
shiftin_gear98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-20, 10:39 AM   #8362
SV650rules
Mega Poster

I thought top dressing was what you did to your lawn ? When done on roads it is cheap and nasty ( considering the money HMG get from motorists ) and just makes the road surface barely legal again in terms of grip, but the grit that easily gets pulled off by traffic and builds up is dangerous for motorbikers and windscreens.. One section of road by us about 1/2 mile long had so many ruts in it council has had to shave the surface off ( still has ruts but not so deep, and less grip than before ) they took the top surface off ages ago but did not even put the cheap tar and gravel back on ( at least there are no bends in it )... maybe it is down in their 2025 calendar to fix it up - when the council tax has increased another large amount ( if more than an average of 50% of residents paid council tax maybe the roads would improve ).

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-20, 10:48 AM   #8363
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftin_gear98 View Post
Todays Gripe.

So as we all have a right to be on the road - apart from cyclist riding two abreast down country lanes including around blind corners, I still don't agree with that - then lets give each other a little room to enjoy what we are doing. It only takes a second to **** it up and maim someone.

Rant Mode Off.
Seems cyclists are submitting headcam footage to the plods and getting motorists fined and points, which would be fine if motorists could do the same - it is only fair that any vehicle ( including cycles ) that use the road should have number plates ( and insurance for when they hit people or cars ) so that when motorists catch cyclists riding through pedestrians on pavements and zebra crossings, running red lights etc, etc. they could be identified on dashcam footage. It is 95% of cyclists that get the other 5% a bad name, and just like motobike rider the one in the flashy gear are the worst offender ( and men should deffo not wear Lycra - it should be illegal. )..

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-20, 11:14 AM   #8364
BoltonSte
Mega Poster

Finding out the strange smell in the living room was the old bakelite meter frying.

Electricity Northwest were there within the hour, to determine it is knackered (after warning us off a smart meter and keep this if you can). The engineer then kept apologising as all he could do was make it safe an not carry out a repair - bit of a smile really.

Our supplier has an emergency number that doesn't work and we had to wait until this morning, so the snakes go a hot water bottle to keep them warm. At least an engineer will be out today in the next 4 hours.
BoltonSte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-20, 08:51 PM   #8365
Sean_Morgan

I may not be qualified enough for this rant, I'm relatively new to the world of SV's.
However, as a member as a member of a couple of Facebook pages its starting to wind me up just how many people are doing, or asking for advice regarding, the S to N conversion.
There really seems to be a lot of S's that are getting stripped, having a set of Renthal copies chucked on and a headlight conversion.
Surely for the survival of the species it would be better to sell the S to fund the purchase of a N .... I can't be on my own, surely a bit of research before spending money would tell you if the S was the bike for you or not ???

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Sean_Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-20, 09:09 PM   #8366
Kenzie

Thinking of doing this conversion to my K7, nice bike but lomg trips can be a pain. Either that or I'll buy a VFR or Vstrom.

Sent from my Xperia using Tapatalk
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-20, 09:42 PM   #8367
chris8886
Mega Poster

Why would you want a naked on long trips though?! Yes the S has clip on bars which might be a little more uncomfortable (but I've never owned a bike with flat bars.....), but the biggest thing for me is that you don't have a proper screen on the N version.....!
Daytona 675: Arrow can (with a baffle that's gone missing in action....), quickshifter, shorty levers, custom paintjob

Last edited by chris8886; 28-07-20 at 10:59 PM.
chris8886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-20, 09:44 PM   #8368
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_Morgan View Post
I may not be qualified enough for this rant, I'm relatively new to the world of SV's.
However, as a member as a member of a couple of Facebook pages its starting to wind me up just how many people are doing, or asking for advice regarding, the S to N conversion.
There really seems to be a lot of S's that are getting stripped, having a set of Renthal copies chucked on and a headlight conversion.
Surely for the survival of the species it would be better to sell the S to fund the purchase of a N .... I can't be on my own, surely a bit of research before spending money would tell you if the S was the bike for you or not ???

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
I does seem a shame to convert bikes. It was often considered cheaper and less hassle to sell your S and buy an N but maybe there are other factors for converting such as accident damage and the cost of replacing plastics.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Old 28-07-20, 09:54 PM   #8369
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

There's less choice of N models around too. I looked into the options when I got my S and there were only a few N models available and they were more expensive becuase of that. Might be different now.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-20, 06:30 AM   #8370
Craig380
Mega Poster

What Adam said. When I was looking for my first SV in 2015, I really wanted an N but they were very thin on the ground. The half-faired S that I bought was too good a bike to miss out on, so I went with that. After I fitted a gel seat and worked on my riding posture to engage my core and take weight off wrists, it was fairly comfy.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote