SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 28-08-20, 12:18 PM   #8441
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Hermes. 'My parcel has been delivered'. No sign of it anywhere inc the bin. I notified the sender this morning. Email from hermes, its being delivered (again) after 3pm. We'll see.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Old 28-08-20, 12:54 PM   #8442
Bibio
Mega Poster

4 lane motorway...
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-20, 01:36 PM   #8443
chris8886
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ123 View Post
Unfortunately down here in the South/South East of England that's the case, or sitting in middle lane/lane 3 of a 4 lane motorway. Personally on those i think European overtaking should be allowed, so those who are driving correctly don't have to move from lane 1 allllllllll the way over to lane 4 to pass some idiot who is a lazy, clueless, selfish Moron.

I'm afraid that I'm naughty (and lazy) and I undertake people constantly, in the vague hope (and I know it's very vague) that they might realise that they can change lanes.... but I do make sure/am on high alert so that I'm not going to get taken out doing it.

Onto todays gripe for me, getting bitten by a feckin' horsefly while at work. Christ it itches/hurts! It's driving me bananas!
Daytona 675: Arrow can (with a baffle that's gone missing in action....), quickshifter, shorty levers, custom paintjob
chris8886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-20, 02:47 PM   #8444
Grant66

I can't see anything in the legislation that says I have to leave my lane (lane 1), assuming I'm not exceeded the speed limit, just because some d1ck is too lazy/dumb/inattentive to use the road correctly.

Sent from an S20 using Tapatalk with that kin cr4p blocked
Grant66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-20, 03:00 PM   #8445
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant66 View Post
I can't see anything in the legislation that says I have to leave my lane (lane 1), assuming I'm not exceeded the speed limit, just because some d1ck is too lazy/dumb/inattentive to use the road correctly.
On a motorway you can pass in nearside lane in slow moving traffic, or if the outer lane is blocked etc ( or on a normal road where someone is turning right ). I Read an article the other day by Police that while 'undertaking' ( the clue is in the name LOL ) is not specifically against the law if you are involved in an accident while doing it in the wrong circumstances there will be a huge book flying your way.... so don't expect any leniency.

Overtaking on inside lane was more accepted in Australia when we lived there, but even where it is expected it still caused some spectacular accidents, 'filtering' in moving traffic ( the Aussies call it 'lane splitting' ) will get you pulled over and a ticket..

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 28-08-20 at 03:03 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-20, 03:05 PM   #8446
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
4 lane motorway...
The most brain dead badly thought out penny pinching idea in the last 50 years. Ok, maybe HS2, but for 'penny pinching' substitute 'extravagant and money wasting' ....

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
Old 28-08-20, 03:07 PM   #8447
Chris_SVS

I routinely maintain 70 in L1 on motorways and pass more vehicles than I can count. I've done nothing wrong and would argue the point in court, with dashcam or helmet camera footage - and expect to win.

Apparently policing lane discipline means it's easier to pull those who observe it, rather than the thousands who don't. If they understand it themselves

https://youtu.be/wHdTZLMfPJA

Last edited by Chris_SVS; 28-08-20 at 03:15 PM.
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-20, 04:47 PM   #8448
SV650rules
Mega Poster

The only exits on motorways are on the left, passing people on the left is not to be recommended - there is a good reason why you will get done for passing on left if you cause a collision. People are less aware of people passing on inside.... they are not expecting it - that is why it is aptly called 'undertaking' ( after undertakers, the ones who will bury what is left of you) - it will be chaos if everyone makes up their own rules, as everyone has a different idea what is safe ( and don't mention drivers of German cars).

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/legal/undertaking/

Last edited by SV650rules; 28-08-20 at 04:53 PM.
Old 28-08-20, 04:51 PM   #8449
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

You don't exit a motorway from the middle or right hand lane though. So how is someone going to be undertaking you as you exit?
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-20, 05:35 PM   #8450
SV650rules
Mega Poster

You have to pull into left lane to exit, and some people just pull into left lane quickly when exit is signposted, so if you are inside them overtaking guess what will happen. As I said if everyone makes their own rules we will have chaos.. you can get done for careless or dangerous driving for under taking, that should tell you all you need to know about how advisable it is. In the absence of a specific law the highway code is used, and if it advises against doing something then you shouldn't or you will get done.