SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-08-05, 11:44 PM   #1
sv4me
Mega Poster

Default Track bike

After reading about one of the guys in MCN getting a mashed up CBR RR for £1700 and doing it up,got me thinking. I want a track bike! \/

Got a few questions though,what are the categories of write off I should avoid and what type of damage will be expensive to repair? Im guessing frame,engine parts,swingarm might be costly

Not thinking of one bike to look out for in particular as I couldnt decide anyway and guess it just depends on what pops up. I saw a 916 without the lowers and radiator damage. Is having a twin as a raceday bike a good idea though? And an SV is a no no I was looking for something with a bit more poke!

I know of blacks bike shop just down the road from me and cheshire salvage. Anyone know any other dealers,preferably in the north?

And is it cheaper to buy an already prepped race bike? I saw an RSV Mille for £2400 ready to race. Kind of takes the fun out of getting the bits and rebuilding it though!

Sorry for all the questions just want to make sure I do this right
sv4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-05, 04:37 PM   #2
M.C.

i would say get somthing like a gixer 6 loads of parts for these and you should be able to get one quite cheap.
M.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-05, 05:03 PM   #3
Skip
Mega Poster

I have gone in on a track bike with two friends. Its a 1993 CBR600 with a Micron can, uprated filter and has been jetted, two almost new Pirelli Dragon Evo tyres and completely stripped apart from a rev counter and temperaure gauge... Get my first chance to try it on the 15th at Snetterton... how much did we pay you ask.... £200 each! Yes thats £600! eBay bargain!

Old 03-08-05, 05:42 PM   #4
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

well chuffed for ya mate at £200 each its not that bad if one of you bins it... they'll just have to buy the next few rounds at the bar!!!

sv650s (gone) gsx-r600 (gone) Street R675 (now living in Inbhir Nis )
carelesschucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-05, 05:47 PM   #5
Flamin_Squirrel

Default Re: Track bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv4me
And an SV is a no no I was looking for something with a bit more poke!
Have you ridden on the track yet?
Old 03-08-05, 05:50 PM   #6
kwak zzr

better than tracking your road bike! an sv track bike should be plenty.
Old 03-08-05, 11:25 PM   #7
sv4me
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin_Squirrel
Quote:
Err yes i took my ninja to Oulton park. Its abilities still outweigh mine I think but maybe thats just me being modest! I still caned the living daylights out of it just as I usually do on the road

the SV just doesnt have enough power on the track and as ive already had one would prefer something different

The reason why I got the ninja was because I was riding the SV like an IL4 and revving the brains out of it all the time. I definitely outgrew it and dont think im being big headed there. And the reason I want a track bike is I dont want to chuck my lovely ninja down the road....closely followed by my big head :P

Im looking at early fireblades at the minute,wouldnt mind a CBR1000 but cant have everything
sv4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-05, 11:49 PM   #8
Mike1234

I actually think that a well set up SV650 is the perfect track bike.

You can rag the thing stupid and it just keeps on going. It rewards you for not making mistakes and, due to the power deficit, can really show up problems with your riding.

I have yet to instruct on a track day where there has been anyone (other than racers of course) on 600s or 1000s that my little 650 can't keep with.

Now maybe I'm doing the wrong track days but I think it is the most rewarding bike I've ridden on track and the list includes British SuperSport 600s, Aprili Challenge RSV-Rs, etc.
Old 04-08-05, 08:36 AM   #9
Flamin_Squirrel

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin_Squirrel
Quote:
Err yes i took my ninja to Oulton park. Its abilities still outweigh mine I think but maybe thats just me being modest! I still caned the living daylights out of it just as I usually do on the road

the SV just doesnt have enough power on the track and as ive already had one would prefer something different

The reason why I got the ninja was because I was riding the SV like an IL4 and revving the brains out of it all the time. I definitely outgrew it and dont think im being big headed there. And the reason I want a track bike is I dont want to chuck my lovely ninja down the road....closely followed by my big head :P

Im looking at early fireblades at the minute,wouldnt mind a CBR1000 but cant have everything
Just because you cain the living daylights out of a bike, doesn't mean you're fast.

Unless you've got alot of track experience, I very much doubt you can ride the SV to its limits. Untill you can, what's the point getting something faster?
Old 04-08-05, 09:00 AM   #10
Jelster

It also depends on what tracks you intend doing. If you're looking at riding the GP circuits at Silverstone, Brands & Donnington the SV's legs are a bit short.

When I did Silverstone GP on my Gixer, there was a guy on an SV who kept with me all through the bends but I left him on the longer straights. But if it were a tighter twisty circuit, then he probably would have been quicker than me. He was a better rider than I, but I had a bike better suited to the track.

You can find plenty of wrecked CBR600's and Gixxer 600's about. I'd still consider an SV as a track bike, hust think about what you could do by losing 2 or 3 theeth off the front, and a bit off tuning.... Would be a great laugh