SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-11-06, 04:35 PM   #1
sweepdoggydog

Default Track Bike

Hi,

I want to get myself a track bike for general trackday use not racing, at the moment I have my CBR600RR as my road bike and I have my 2004 SV650 which I was going to sell for around £2000-2500 and buy a track bike, however I'm now considering keeping the SV and turning it into a track bike.
which do people think would be a better idea, either keep the SV and spend some money tuning it ect. or sell it and buy a £2000-2500 track bike thats has already been set up for track use such as a zx6r, gsxr ect?
Old 06-11-06, 04:42 PM   #2
Jelster

For the most part, a well set up SV is a wicked track bike. I think the only time you'd really notice it is on the long wide GP circuits such as Silverstone. As a track bike you could quite easily drop on a new front end and a better rear shock and then play wiith the engine as you so wish.

Sounds like a good idea to me, if you sold it, you wouldn't get much else for that money, and you know the history of your SV.

Old 06-11-06, 06:25 PM   #3
chunkytfg

Default Re: Track Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweepdoggydog
Hi,

I want to get myself a track bike for general trackday use not racing, at the moment I have my CBR600RR as my road bike and I have my 2004 SV650 which I was going to sell for around £2000-2500 and buy a track bike, however I'm now considering keeping the SV and turning it into a track bike.
which do people think would be a better idea, either keep the SV and spend some money tuning it ect. or sell it and buy a £2000-2500 track bike thats has already been set up for track use such as a zx6r, gsxr ect?
Sell the nice 2004 Sv and buy my 2003 Sv that i was planning on running in minitwins next year. Full fibreglass bodywork, ohlins shock, Reworked forks inc emulators and wets on wheels QA throttle, brand new performance friction pads with goodridge lines. yours for around 3k. Bike comes with V5 and is currently SORN'ed.

07782141606 if you want more info but text me only as i dont answer the phone to numbers i dont recognise either that or email me at chunkytfg@hotmail.com and i'll sort you out pics and more details.
Old 06-11-06, 10:03 PM   #4
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkytfg
Sell the nice 2004 Sv and buy my 2003 Sv that i was planning on running in minitwins next year. Full fibreglass bodywork, ohlins shock, Reworked forks inc emulators and wets on wheels QA throttle, brand new performance friction pads with goodridge lines. yours for around 3k. Bike comes with V5 and is currently SORN'ed.

07782141606 if you want more info but text me only as i dont answer the phone to numbers i dont recognise either that or email me at chunkytfg@hotmail.com and i'll sort you out pics and more details.
Change of plan chunkyft?

sweepdoggydog - Unless you fancy being an underdog and would get your kicks that way (like I do ), then I'd flog the SV and get a track prepped 600 or thou

You could pick up a K1 gixer6 or carbie/early injected R6 easily for that sort of cash
Old 07-11-06, 08:20 AM   #5
chunkytfg

yeah pretty much. bought myself john halls thunderbike. SV700, slipper clutch, GSXR front end, Dymags you name it it has it
Old 07-11-06, 10:50 AM   #6
Mike1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S
sweepdoggydog - Unless you fancy being an underdog and would get your kicks that way (like I do ), then I'd flog the SV and get a track prepped 600 or thou
I wouldn't worry about it. When instructing on track days I was always surprised by how few big bikes ever came past, even on the longer straights.